> In a message dated 8/18/05 8:01:33 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Take a  look here,  please:
>
> http://www.schube.org/Hypocrites.aspx
>

> Judy, I read your web site titled Hypocrites. Did you? I found
> about 14 quotes made in the national media, the rest in local new
> papers and  occasional press releases, and a few were duplicates.

I don't have time to do a really thorough check,
but I looked again; I did miss the fact that there
were a few duplicates; I didn't realize there were
two lists, one by category of Republican and one by
date.

But after weeding those duplicates out, by my count,
there were 34 quotes from "national" media (including
television) or major big-city papers like the Houston
Chronicle and the Des Moines Register, plus three from
the Congressional Record and four from press releases
or small newspapers.

So I'm not sure how you're counting.  In the chronological
list, the quotes are almost all from the New York Times,
the Washington Post, AP, the Washington Times, and major
TV interviews, plus one from NPR; of the 38 quotes, only
nine are from other media or the Congressional Record or
a press release.

> Out of the 14 in national  media, few
> were harshly critical of the Clinton administration ,most asked
> questions or had a personal comment which should have been easily
> answered. None with the exception of maybe a few by Delay and one
> or two by  Pat Buchanan took on a more critical tone.

I think this characterization is utterly absurd,
frankly.  Most of these are indeed harshly critical.
They were also all from national Republican officeholders,
including presidential candidates, not pundits or
party flacks.  And the "questions" were rhetorical, not
requests for explanations or information.

> Pat Buchanan's comments on Meet the  Press dated 4/25/99
> being the harshest. However I find it hard to even compare  these
> few comments by Republicans to be anywhere  close to the number  or
> quality of rhetoric that we have found spewed and eagerly reported
> from the  left by the mainstream national media today.

I'm sorry, but this is *also* absurd.  For one thing,
as I pointed out, the Balkans war lasted only two and
a half months, whereas the Iraq war has dragged on
for two and a half *years* with no end in sight, most
of it after Bush pranced around in his Top Gun costume
on the aircraft carrier under the "Mission
Accomplished" banner, declaring an end to major
hostiliites.

If the Kosovo war had lasted that long, especially
after Clinton had declared victory, the Republicans
would have been apoplectic.  As it was, they were
just getting warmed up.

As to the media reporting criticism, the so-called
liberal media were mostly cheerleading *for* the Iraq
war.  It wasn't until it became clear there were no
WMD, the insurgency arose, and the American death toll
began to mount, that you saw much in the way of
criticism in the media.

> During the war in Kosovo we didn't  see an organized
> effort to stop it or discredit it like we see now although the
> case could have been made and not many people wanted our
> involvement in it from the get go.

But in the case of the Iraq war, there was a prolonged
buildup and then a major ground invasion that we knew
was going to take place; there was time to mount an
effort against it.  Moreover, as ignorant as Americans
are of what goes on abroad, we knew a lot more about the
situation in Iraq than we did that in the Balkans,
partly because we'd been there before.  Plus which,
we were a lot more personally involved because of 9/11,
so people were paying much closer attention.

And there had been *very* little opposition to the
invasion of Afghanistan, virtually none from
prominent Democrats, so it's not as though folks
automatically oppose wars started by Republicans.

In many respects the Balkans war and the Iraq war
are apples and oranges.  But the *point* here is
that Republicans had no problem criticizing the
president publicly while troops were actually
fighting, but they've been screaming bloody murder
at Democrats who dare to criticize Bush while
troops are fighting in Iraq.

I don't personally object to anybody criticizing
a war while it's going on.  It's the Republican
hypocrisy I think is disgraceful.

> The fact is we went to Kosovo based on a lie. Remember, we went
> there to stop the ethnic cleansing of the Albanian nationals by
> ethnic Serbs.

I'm not up on the details of the war in Kosovo, so I
can't comment, except to say that I've seen complex
arguments on both sides.  Again, my point here is the
Republican hypocrisy with regard to criticism, not the
case for or against either war.  I'd have the very
same complaint if I knew enough about the Balkans war
to have opposed it as strenuously as I do the Iraq war.