--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > > on 8/19/05 2:00 PM, shempmcgurk at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > > It portrays him as an intelligent, compassionate medical
student
> > who relates easily to the common man and the disadvantaged.
> >
> > In reality, Che had no compunction about murdering, in cold
blood,
> > the common man and the disadvantaged.
>

> Is that fact based? My understanding is that Che's personal acts of
> killing were mostly limited to the period of 1959–1963 when he was
> Commander of the La Cabana Fortress prison where he had
> responsibilities for trials and executions of many former Batista
> regime officials, including members of the secret police. The
account
> of the number executed varies -- some sources say 156 people,
others
> estimate as many as 500. Some say that he signed execution orders
for
> some of the above without trials. But while justice may have been
> short-served a bit, the prisoners were hardly the "the common man
and
> the disadvantaged" -- they were the henchmen of a bloody repressive
> regime. As far as "killing in cold blood", -- well I guess most
> prision executions after a revolution are not pretty, but I am not
> aware of evicence that they were gruesome. I guess you are being
> literal and in that sense most the killings in Irag are also "in
cold
> blood".

1) Many were children that he executed;

2) "bloody repressive regime"...well, we know now that Batista and
his regime were about 1% as repressive as Fidel's regime turned out
to be.  Curious about Batista: he was a Black Man who had a history
as a labor leader who presided over a country with a larger
percentage of unionized workers than many European countries.
Fidel, a white man from the white elite of Cuba with white elite
revolutionaries overthrew this self-made Black man...wonder how that
would play out today.

3) "In cold blood" well, the period that you cite -- 4 years -- is
more than enough time to establish a tribunal.

4) Cuba is a slave state today.

> Though Che became a leader in the ragtag band, initially composed
of
> only a handful of guerillas, along with Castro, that against huge
> odds, did succeed in overthrowing Batista -- by all accounts a
quite
> corrupt guy whose policies harmed the vast majority of Cubans.

You really need to read up on Batista and his regime.  Cuba had a
standard of living which rivalled many European nations and was at
or near the top in terms of Latin America.  They were a nation in
which Europeans emigrated to.

Maybe it was repressive but compared to Cuba today, it was
Disneyland...plus, unlike Che and Fidel, when Batista threw Castro
into prison, he didn't kill him.  Che and Fidel killed virtually
anyone that was a threat to them.

> But
> after the revolution succeeded, Castro fearing the charisma of his
> guerilla-band brother, kept Che at a distance to himself and the
major
> Cuban power centers. After 1963, Che focused on planning for
> revolutions in South America and Africa and had even less to do
with
> Cuban policy.

...and thank god the CIA killed him...wonder how much havoc he would
have wreaked had he not been killed...

> So again, are your assertions about Che based in face? If so,
please
> share with us. Or are you simply  generalizing to the whole Cuban
> revolution?

Check out the following on Fidel and some on Che:

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=18739

The following is mostly on Che:

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=12467