In the current issue of Tricycle, there is an interview with Shinzen
Young in which the interviewer asks about Young's very
pluralistic background. It seemed to me that his reply was very
significant with respect to the pro/anti polarity in TM:

I think that some people are naturally poly-spiritual and some people
are mono-spiritual. Mono-spiritual people develop overt or subtle
conflicts if they go with different teachers of approaches, whereas
poly-spiritual people get an immediate sense of the complementary.
I've always been poly-spiritual. There's never been anything
I did with anybody that didn't seem immediately to complement
what I had done with everybody else. … p 51

>From my own perspective, one of the things that compelled my
departure from the mono-TM mindset was Maharishi himself (and, by
extension, his increasingly belligerent, materialistic and
doctrinaire Organization). I sensed, for many reason, conflicts
between what I had learned from other teachers and what he was
saying. I had no problem as far as the TM technique was concerned,
that fit right in with many other things. But it was Maharishi and
the Organization, the "this-only" approach that put me off.

I had started TM and become a teacher before he set out on his
material conquest. So his "this-only" approach seemed to
develop along with his "what can I sell next" objective –
and this just wouldn't work for me.

However, in another sense, I have known many ardent "pure-TM"
practitioners who can only function in and according to whatever the
present "this-only" is with no sense of conflict with their
own past. As long as it's coming from their personal source,
their concept of personal-guru, it is OK and anything else whether
other than TM or in comparison with TM's past, is decidedly not
OK. I think I might, therefore add to Shinzen Young's categories
another – whether it is a third or a sub-set of the mono, I am
not, however, quite sure: TB-spiritual, or maybe PT-spritual (present-
tense-spiritual).

Obviously, some people need and maybe can only function when there is
one absolute set of rules. And, they simply cannot interact with
others who recognize a polymorphous dominion of values to select
from.

I worked, once, with a Born Again Christian lady who was very kind,
considerate and so on. Quite innocently one day, I said, "oh, I
just got a copy of my astrological chart, would you like to see
it?" It was really nicely done and, actually, that was just about
it: show-and-tell. To my surprise, she turned away, saying "I
avoid the appearance of all evil."

Wow

But I see this a lot with fundamentalists of all sorts. The TB or PT
mindset, whether it cannot consider something outside itself,
generally, or whether it cannot consider "dissimilarities" in
its own makeup, persists in a kind of self-preservation, a clinging
to its Rock of Security and making every effort to abolish anything
that messes with this PT-spirituality or fundamentalism. The
PT'er is far less reasonable and flexible than the mono-believer
or mono-spiritual practitioner.

One of Maharishi's pronouncements sticks in mind: anything I
haven't taught you isn't worth knowing. Several years later,
he began to go commercial and change TM from a spiritual endeavour
goal-oriented in and of itself, to a means to acquire his
sidhi program. Well, after learning it, I thought his earlier
pronouncement had been right on the mark, it wasn't worth knowing.

Very slowly, very gradually he tampered with his own `holy'
tradition. It was his, of course, and he could `adjust' it as
he saw fit in order to justify his own needs, but this sort of
behaviour, when it continually locked people into his ever-changing
PT mindset was one of the red-flags that didn't diminish the
worth of his method of meditation, but was a bit like that hilarious
telegram P. G. Wodehouse famously speculated would be such fun to
send friends travelling abroad: all has been discovered, flee at once.