--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Gimbel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Back in the day, when I was on staff at M.I.U.
> Around 1975-1977.
> I remember mostly the atmosphere there,
> Being quite exquisite.
> There was definitely more of a 'communal' feeling,
> And sweetness I remember.
> Maharishi, would visit periodically;
> For various conferences.
>
> I participated in one on Physics.
> Larry Domash set it up.
> It was quite good.
> Everything seemed so grounded and 'down to earth' then.
> Money was rolling in;
> It was during the 'Merv' days.
> I am wondering?
> If anyone cares to comment.
> How's the feeling in Faifield these days.
> Is there any type of communal feeling?
> I know there was always a certain degree of animosity,
> From the town, and fundamentalist folk.
> But in those early days,
> When Maharishi came there;
> There was even less of that town animosity,
> And positive remarks in the Fairfield Ledger.
> Sometimes, Jerry Jarvis would visit, Charlie Lutes, Robert Bly,
> Father Dom Thomas.
> Anyway, just reminiscing.

I remember Robert Bly coming.  And I was in the library one day and
remember someone in the administration corralling Bly into seeing a
videotape of MMY that Bly obviously didn't want to see but was doing
it out of politeness.  It seemed that the administration person
wanted to settle an argument with him or something...but Bly didn't
want to have anything to do with it and I remember being embarrassed
by him.

There was a girl who was a student at MIU by the name of Debbie
Thomas who had done some sort of internship or something with Bly
the previous summer -- she was into poetry -- and I think she was
the contact that got Bly to come to MIU.

I remember Father Dom Thomas's visit, too.  I remember running into
him in the hallway and stopping to say hello to him and I couldn't
finish the one sentence I spoke to him (I think I tried to say
something short and innoculous like "Hello, Father Dom, welcome to
MIU".  I couldn't finish the sentence because the silence around him
was SO powerful that it just stunned me into mumbling the last few
words.  The words were humbled by his silence.

His friend, Father Basil Pennington came, too, at a different time.
Didn't like him...I felt an anger and anxiety around him that made
me feel uncomfortable.