Robert Gimbel wrote:

> Back in the day, when I was on staff at M.I.U.
> Around 1975-1977.
> I remember mostly the atmosphere there,
> Being quite exquisite.
> There was definitely more of a 'communal' feeling,
> And sweetness I remember.

I suspect most young organizations have this communal
feeling. I've heard about it in relation to the Waldorf school
my kids attend. When it was young and just starting out,
people felt they were building something of importance
that would last. And such has been the case.

I've heard of Waldorf teachers who give up mature schools
and the financial security they afford for the excitement and
purpose and community of a fledgling school.

I imagine Shri Shri Ravi Shankar's outfit affords this youthful
thrill. It hasn't reached the institution stage yet, has it? It
still has the feeling of a movement about it?

What's even more interesting is to separate the history of
an organization into seven-year stages. You can often see
distinct qualities in each stage, just as you can in an
individual person's life.

For example, the first seven years of Maharishi's mission
were very childlike. From 1955 to 1962 he just toddled
around, nurtured by others. From '62 to '69 he was more
like a child between ages 7 to 14 -- capable, energetic,
absorbing of information and charming. From '69 to '76
the TMO had the expanded reach a teenager has, not to
mention the solidarity among peers the teenage years have,
as Robert remembers above.

And so on.

Interesting to see the milestones near each of those 7-year
points, too. The first teacher training course in '61 or '62,
the Beatles in '68, the TM-Sidhis in '76 and '77, the Taste
of Utopia gathering in '83...

 - Patrick Gillam