--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius" <anartaxius@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"

> > > Your post have plenty of points to discuss. But just the one
> > > above, from where did you hear that Maharishi ever said that ?
> > > It would be interesting to know, even from 3'rd or 4'th hand.
> >
> > Others said it, as I said. Maharishi did not say it. Others
> > who were at Jyotir Math at the time, said he functioned as a
> > clerk, and that was his status.
>
> I could be wrong, but I assumed Nabby was asking when MMY
> had said he was Guru Dev's "most favored disciple." That's
> what *I* was going to ask you, at any rate. I've heard that from "others"--TM
> teachers and other movement types--but I
> never heard MMY say it on any of the tapes. If you had
> asked me to choose between "clerk" and something "much more
> exalted," I'd have picked "clerk," although "secretary"
> or "administrative assistant" would have seemed closer.
>
> > To my knowledge no one in the movement would say that because
> > they got the story of those times that MMY told, which of
> > course was that his position was much more exalted.
>
> Which story was that?
>
> > Among other stories I have heard, MMY would do things on trips
> > away from the ashram, but always would do what Brahmananda
> > Saraswati asked him to do first.
>
> Are you putting that in the "much more exalted" category?
>
> > Simply on testimony alone, it is not possible to distinguish
> > which is true or whether either is true, and as we were not
> > there, we are left with what people have said. We also have
> > to take into account that the clerk story comes via someone
> > that claims MMY poisoned Brahmananda.
>
> Vaj--who has also repeatedly insinuated that MMY poisoned
> Guru Dev--responded to your post by saying he thought "right-
> hand man" would be a more appropriate description than
> "clerk." Is that "much more exalted"? It sure doesn't suggest
> "most favored disciple," but it would describe my impression
> from what I've heard MMY say on tape (and would also fit
> MMY's own description in the transcript I posted here
> recently).

Well you have heard various stories too, and I won't argue with you that your
interpretation is any worse than others or mine. Right hand man, an
administrative assistant would in my view, be more exalted than a mere clerk.
Also the benefit of what MMY did around Guru Dev just by what attitude he had
might have had far more benefit for him and growth of experience than might be
supposed. I think MMY said he did not 'round much' at Jyotir Math. Most of his
'program' if you will was service, and that does not mean that it was imposed
on him as a set of behaviours he was supposed to follow. Historically we don't
know very much about specifics of what he was asked to do or not do.