Most brain imaging techniques are actually very dangerous. There are "cooling
off periods" measured in weeks or even a month or more, before a second test
can be performed, except in emergencies. This is because they are extremely
intrusive, by nature, involving the ingestion of toxic and/or radioactive
substances, and/or the use of power levels so great that they cause overheating
in the brain.

There is also a tradeoff between accuracy of space and accuracy of time.

Most brain imaging techniques require many minutes to establish an image, but
have a relatively fine resolution at the 1 mm^2 level. EEG, on the other hand,
has a resolution on the order of square inches but can resolve changes that
take place in 1/128 (or less) of a second.

EEG is also quite safe. I don't know of any safety guidelines concerning how
many times a day an EEG can be performed (sleep studies look at EEG all night,
after all).

the more intrusive and dangerous brain imaging techniques can look at any
portion of the brain, no matter how deep. EEG, only looks at surface electrical
activity, which can be obscured by random electrical activity from muscles.

There are always tradeoffs, but given that the TM organization worries about
radiation from cell phones (and its not just a danger of cancer, BTW), I'm not
surprised they don't authorize fMRI studies on a regular basis.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"