> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@> wrote:
> >
> > They shouldn't be allowed to teach religious concepts at school
> > as though they were facts. This is what worries me about the
> > TMO, I heard one kid telling me he was doing well at jyotish at
> > school. WTF? What possible excuse is there for taking a young
> > mind and filling it full of garbage?
>
> Here's a relevant article. Bill Maher comments on Mitt
> Romney giving the commencement address at Liberty Uni-
> versity in Virginia. This is a "university" that teaches
> "creation science," and that the Earth was created 5000
> years ago. As Maher puts it so well, "This is a school
> you flunk out of when you get the answers right."
>
> Bill Maher: Liberty University Is Not A Real School:
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/19/bill-maher-new-rule-liberty-university_n_1530400.html
>
> I think his argument extends equally to MUM. It's not
> real school. Real schools don't teach students to believe
> in astrology and that chanting to gods and goddesses and
> waving candles and rice at them (yagyas) are "scientific."
> Real schools don't ban students from one of its supposedly
> most important functions for going to see a teacher from
> another school (of thought, if not of academia).

This is what I learned about that from Fred Travis: apparently the provide you
with a "current" model and the model can of course change (provided they listen
to their students good points, since I had a few. Essentially I said It's not
proven[but that doesn't mean we should lie and say it's not true as it works;
plus considering it came from Maharishi it could be true]. Also I showed them
potatoes are not slow digesting as the glycemic index says they are moderate to
fast digesting. Also I said Lactose intolerance doesn't come from a misuse of
lactose, it inherent[they could be kind of right though as I never did the
research fully] as 99% of Native Americans are lactose intolerant and only 1%
of [I think] Sweden is lactose intolerant). The model is important however as
it shows us we can never be certain, but according to science it's the best
thing we have is a current model of how we look at things. So prove it wrong if
you want and HOPEFULLY they will change it.

> > It's a shame because in
> > other ways they clearly benefit a lot from being in a school
> > like this, a positive atmosphere, stress free (compared to the
> > state equivalent).
>
> I would agree if the "positive atmosphere" were 1) based
> on reality instead of fantasy, and 2) actually present.
> It's not, after all, as if MIU/MUM hasn't had almost
> exactly the same percentage of suicides and crimes over
> the years as other schools its size. If the ME hasn't
> demonstrated its effectiveness in one podunk town in
> Iowa, it certainly isn't going to demonstrate it on
> a grander scale.

I have no idea the research on this however I heard from Craig Pearson that
Fairfield's crime rate is dramatically lower. Also I heard from (I think) the
governor of Fairfield that the businesses are blooming very well. So maybe we
see it maybe we don't.

> > If only they would stick to teaching what is known
> > or at least speculated to be true rather than dogma.
>
> I see *no problem* with them teaching fantasies about what
> they believe *as long as they present them that way*. I
> similarly have no problem with Liberty University teaching
> "creation science" as long as they present it not only as
> what it is (a belief based on a book of dubious authority),
> and that this belief conflicts strongly with what science
> tells us. Presenting it as truth is...uh...a lie.
>
> > I propose all religious teachings be included in a lesson
> > called: History of Human beliefs, that way you could keep
> > it seperate and kids would learn how to think objectively
> > and accept that mankind has gone through many strange belief
> > systems and that there are unknowns and perhaps even
> > unknowables and be happy with that but keen to find out
> > for sure.

The only problem I have with teaching people's religions are not absolute truth
is it may go against their hearts and of course, being me, I think the heart is
highest communicator of truth.