--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shainm307" <shainm307@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > They shouldn't be allowed to teach religious concepts at school
> > > as though they were facts. This is what worries me about the
> > > TMO, I heard one kid telling me he was doing well at jyotish at
> > > school. WTF? What possible excuse is there for taking a young
> > > mind and filling it full of garbage?
> >
> > Here's a relevant article. Bill Maher comments on Mitt
> > Romney giving the commencement address at Liberty Uni-
> > versity in Virginia. This is a "university" that teaches
> > "creation science," and that the Earth was created 5000
> > years ago. As Maher puts it so well, "This is a school
> > you flunk out of when you get the answers right."
> >
> > Bill Maher: Liberty University Is Not A Real School:
> > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/19/bill-maher-new-rule-liberty-university_n_1530400.html
> >
> > I think his argument extends equally to MUM. It's not
> > real school. Real schools don't teach students to believe
> > in astrology and that chanting to gods and goddesses and
> > waving candles and rice at them (yagyas) are "scientific."
> > Real schools don't ban students from one of its supposedly
> > most important functions for going to see a teacher from
> > another school (of thought, if not of academia).
>
> This is what I learned about that from Fred Travis: apparently the provide
> you with a "current" model and the model can of course change (provided they
> listen to their students good points, since I had a few. Essentially I said
> It's not proven[but that doesn't mean we should lie and say it's not true as
> it works; plus considering it came from Maharishi it could be true]. Also I
> showed them potatoes are not slow digesting as the glycemic index says they
> are moderate to fast digesting. Also I said Lactose intolerance doesn't come
> from a misuse of lactose, it inherent[they could be kind of right though as I
> never did the research fully] as 99% of Native Americans are lactose
> intolerant and only 1% of [I think] Sweden is lactose intolerant). The model
> is important however as it shows us we can never be certain, but according to
> science it's the best thing we have is a current model of how we look at
> things. So prove it wrong if you want and HOPEFULLY they will change it.

Good for you for speaking your mind, keep at it and challenge everything (even
the idea that if it comes from Maharishi
it's more likely to be true) one day you might go through the
whole teaching and dismiss all of it except that you like TM
and it seems to do you good though nothing like as much as
promised.

The lactose thing is typical, I pointed this out myself.
Just because ayurveda says Indians are intolerant doesn't
mean everyone is. It's part of TM doctrine that if it's
good for iron age India it's good for the whole world at
all times so they transplant the whole thing to today
without considering embarrassing facts like the type of
astrology they use to decide when is the most auspicious
time to do things doesn't use planets the people who
thought of it couldn't see. So much for perfect knowledge!
One example from many I can give. Keep asking questions,
there's nothing wrong with a mind of your own.

> > > It's a shame because in
> > > other ways they clearly benefit a lot from being in a school
> > > like this, a positive atmosphere, stress free (compared to the
> > > state equivalent).
> >
> > I would agree if the "positive atmosphere" were 1) based
> > on reality instead of fantasy, and 2) actually present.
> > It's not, after all, as if MIU/MUM hasn't had almost
> > exactly the same percentage of suicides and crimes over
> > the years as other schools its size. If the ME hasn't
> > demonstrated its effectiveness in one podunk town in
> > Iowa, it certainly isn't going to demonstrate it on
> > a grander scale.
>
> I have no idea the research on this however I heard from Craig Pearson that
> Fairfield's crime rate is dramatically lower. Also I heard from (I think) the
> governor of Fairfield that the businesses are blooming very well. So maybe we
> see it maybe we don't.
>

> > > If only they would stick to teaching what is known
> > > or at least speculated to be true rather than dogma.
> >
> > I see *no problem* with them teaching fantasies about what
> > they believe *as long as they present them that way*. I
> > similarly have no problem with Liberty University teaching
> > "creation science" as long as they present it not only as
> > what it is (a belief based on a book of dubious authority),
> > and that this belief conflicts strongly with what science
> > tells us. Presenting it as truth is...uh...a lie.
> >
> > > I propose all religious teachings be included in a lesson
> > > called: History of Human beliefs, that way you could keep
> > > it seperate and kids would learn how to think objectively
> > > and accept that mankind has gone through many strange belief
> > > systems and that there are unknowns and perhaps even
> > > unknowables and be happy with that but keen to find out
> > > for sure.
>
> The only problem I have with teaching people's religions are not absolute
> truth is it may go against their hearts and of course, being me, I think the
> heart is highest communicator of truth.

In some ways, the best way to proceed in life comes from deep
down. When I don't listen to my heart it all goes wrong.

But what your heart tells you is truth comes from what you've
picked up from the environment and in evaluating abstract knowledge
it isn't much good at all. It will, being a part of your unconscious mind, go
along with myths or things that *feel* good as the alter-
native truth from what genuine nature tells us not very comforting
to say the least! Hope that made sense I'm in a hurry, compaints
will be dealt with later!