--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@> wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
> > <anartaxius@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > And your messages can be traced back to a server in Manchester, England.
> > >

> > I get how you find it, all we need to do is go through everyone
> > on list's IPs. Sounds like a fun afternoon, but if someone
> > can deliberately use a different server would the IP address
> > change? I thought they were unique to your actual home.
> >
> IP addresses have actually run out, but it seems a company, like AT&T can use
> a single IP address to receive and send and assign their home users an IP
> address for communicating with that server. In a home the router/modem is
> assigned that IP address, and if you turn off the modem, you might get
> another assigned when you turn it on. And the router can assign internal IP
> addresses for each computer on the network.
>
> At the moment, it seems I am connecting with a server about 70km from where I
> live. But sometimes it is as much as 2200km if Internet traffic is rerouted.

Well, they haven't quite run out. THere's still millions of unused addresses
available. The allocation of new sets of addresses past a certain level of the
hierarchy, has run out.  I.E. (and this is really primitive understanding on my
part): the www part of the www.xxx.yyy.zzz address space has been filled in.
There's still plenty of addresses left (for a little while) in the yyy.zzz
parts of each of them. The xxx etc stand for numbers between 0 and 255, so in
theory there are 256 x 256 x256 x256 (or about 4 billion) IP addresses total,
but reserved numbers in each of those positions means there are somewhat less
than that which can be used by the general public.

The next generation of IP addresses, IPv6, have the form
ssss.tttt.uuuu.vvvv.wwww.xxxx.yyyy.zzzz where each block can range from 0 to
65,535 or there are theoretically 65,536 x 64,536 x... (or
340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456) possible addresses
available.

The way those addresses are divvied is very complicated, but the bottom line is
that they don't expect IPv6 addresses to run out until we have a multi-galaxy
civilization to provide addresses to.