> > Just to be fair, someone should point out that what
> > you're calling a "real" master may just be one that
> > appeals to your sensibilities or predilection.
>
> Not sure if you were addressing Vaj or G (me); but from my
> perspective, I follow the advice given by HH the Dalai Lama:
> examine your teacher, even if it takes you 12 years.

Can't knock the Dalai Lama.  I make no assumptions
about his enlightenment or lack thereof, even having
met him, but I respect him thoroughly.  No one, in
my opinion, could have done a better job of being
the most visible Buddhist on the planet.

> When I (G) say "real" spiritual master, I mean someone who has
> demonstrated his own achievements to my questioning, skeptical mind
> and then laid out for me what I have to do if I want to get there.

Cool.  Important clarification.

> Then, I try it (complete with bitching and stupid questions) and
> see what happens.

Great plan.

> Something I learned from MMY/MCS: others may notice something
> before you do.

And after.  Otherwise, why are there so many TBs?  :-)

> That's not altogether off track. I take the remarks of others with
> the proverbial grain of sodium chloride -- but a home truth or two
> isn't always amiss, one way or another.

Another great plan.  The stuff you hear on boards like
this one is a lot like the stuff you hear from teachers.
Some of it goes in one chakra and out another, some of
it "sticks."  If it proves useful, even for a short
while, IMO the source doesn't matter.  I've had great
spiritual revelations from movies (obviously, given the
currently-active thread) and from bums I've met on the
street.  I don't have to think of them as my formal
spiritual teachers, but in one sense all of them were.