Share1: Marnia Robinson writes:  "Take, for example, the ancient Tibetan
Buddhist myth, The Great Stupa.  It confirms that passion is indeed the reason
for mankind's fallen state, and says there are three paths to liberation:

~the overcoming of passion through renunciation
~the neutralization of passion by pouring all one's energy into selfless service
~the conquering of passion through controlled indulgence.  That is, using sex
itself in such a way as to transcend passion's treacherous downward suction.

It says that the third path is the fastest and most powerful path, although
also the easiest one to fall from...until one masters it.

Robin1: I think this just BS, Share. There is no spiritual path that entails
sex or abstinence from sex: celibacy. "Controlled indulgence"--any being with
the intelligence to know how susceptible we all are to the power of this
reality inside our bodies, knows this is just plain ridiculous. 'Mastering'
"controlled indulgence"--this is the most absurd and ludicrous idea I think I
may have heard when it comes to traditional idea of spirituality, Share.
Beautifully sincere, but hopelessly naive.

Look: here is where I come out on all this. I believe that only the grace of
the Personal God can make of celibacy something real, creative, strong, holy.
Without that grace, all you have is will power and some religious idea of how
good and necessary it is to be abstain from sexual activity.

The sexual drive in human beings, Share--unless it has simply just attenuated
because of age, or just doesn't assert itself for some unknown reason--always
conquers the individual person. One can only do one's best to act with
integrity in this matter. But turning sex into some kind of path of truth, that
is just a hoot.

Don't you see, Share, for this to be true would mean that encountering the
methodology and teaching of Marnia Robinson *would be to encounter something
more powerful, or potentially more powerful, than sexual desire*. That can't
happen. The reality and power of sexuality is something *no human being in my
lifetime* has ever mastered--mastered here means, having more control over and
intelligence about than what the sensation of sexuality presents to us. *We
cannot truly command this aspect of ourselves as human beings without the grace
given to us by the author of sexuality* (before the Fall).

I have never seen a single human being, Share, who I intuitively knew: *This
person knows more about his or her sexuality, what it is, how it acts within
him or her, how it can be put it inside a context such as to make it submit
itself to that person's will--than the power of this reality to determine that
person's experience*.

Marnia Robinson: The myth, which is very old, predicted there would come a time
when the unstable energies produced by increased indulgence in passion would
create chaos at both seen and unseen levels across the globe.  The first two
paths, celibacy and compassionate service to others, would no longer open the
door to enlightenment, though they would remain useful spiritual disciplines.
Why?  Because general unrest would render impossible the necessary degree of
inner stillness.

Robin1: Nice talk, Share--but sex will defeat the person every time. It's one
of those either or things: either there is the grace to transcend this desire
and be protected from its furious vehemence and insistence, or there is not the
grace to do this. For me, I have never seen that grace sufficient to insure the
physical integrity of a human being. Although I don't therefore, discount the
tremendous intention to conquer or control this aspect of ourselves. Obviously
a Catholic priest is living with this intention (presumably). But Marnia
Robinson, she has as much insight into her sexuality as Eve did: None. *It just
is a given that concupiscence takes our measure, Share*--although, again, I
say: there are obviously persons in the world heroically fighting against this
reality within themselves. It is just that the grace (from the author of
sexuality) is being withheld.--This was decidedly not the case before I was
born; before World War II. Then those nuns and religious, they, some of them
anyway--like Saint Therese of Lisieux, like Saint Francis of Assisi, like Saint
Teresa of Avila, like Saint Ignatius of Loyola, like Thomas Aquinas (to take
examples of persons who refer to this very topic (their own sexuality) and how
they somehow were recipients of the supernatural grace which is a sine qua non
in being innocently and intelligently celibate)--*lived the life that none of
us can now*.

Marnia Robinson: Instead, only the third path, balance with a partner, would
serve.  Apparently a loving relationship, devoted entirely to the goal of
transcendence, can create enduring inner peace and stability.  In this way, we
can reconnect the broken circuit of gender and permanently rise about our
built-in sense of lack.  By contrast,
celibacy still allows gender polarity to create severe longings in many of us,
if only for simple loving touch.  And I suspect this trait is less a product of
moral weakness than a result of the easily inflamed body chemistry that we have
bred into ourselves for millennia.  These bothersome longings may also mask
intense yearnings for reunion with our Source.  The silver lining?  Many of us
are apparently now primed for shared enlightenment should we care to use our
urges for a higher end."

Robin1: Marnia is an earnest and intelligent and dreamy lady. Sex is sex. I
don't think it can be sublimated--in the act itself--into something which
yields spiritual integrity. I am not saying that sexuality is not something
that is beautiful, even extraordinary to experience; but its very power to take
hold of us is so overwhelming, that the idea of taming, controlling, making it
serve some purpose we devise for it, this just sets up for utter defeat, Share.

Sex--these days at least--is something each person works out for himself or
herself. But no one ever has the experience of knowing what sexuality is in
relationship to their own sense of who they are such as to acquire any kind of
objectivity, perspective, insight into it. I certainly have never seen a human
being whom I could say to myself: There is someone who has a sense of their
sexuality identity which is more intelligent than their sexuality has power
over them--or could, in any moment, have power over them.

Share: from Marnia Robinson's Peace Between the Sheets, pg 137-8

Robin1: Once "Between the Sheets", Share, there can be no peace--not such,
anyway, so as to make sex something that can lead one to 'God'. Maharishi
himself is the paradigmatic example of a man, so brilliant, so powerful, so
masterful—seeming undoubtedly with the integrity to take it or leave it--and
yet, even though he knew it would cause unspeakable and untellable agony in so
many of those who loved him and devoted their lives to him, he surrendered
himself to the desires intrinsic to his manhood.

Sexuality will always be more potent than the square root of 1% effect.

Share1:Balinese medicine man Ketut from Eat Pray Love:  To lose balance
sometimes for love is part of living a balanced life.

Robin1:I suppose there is a psychological truth in this--as even Dr Spock or
Sigmund would attest--but that there is some *metaphysical* truth in this, I
reject this, Share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8csr68LjUM&feature=relmfu