Sexuality Before Marnia Robinson: for Share

"The pleasures of sex are more vehement that the pleasures of food and exert
more pressure on us; they need more whipping into line, for the more we give
way to them the more they dominate us and the more able they are to overthrow
our strength of mind. Even married sex, adorned with all the honourableness of
marriage, carries with it a certain shame, because the movements of the
genitals unlike those of other external members don't obey reason. The virtue
that deals with the sex-act we call chastity, and the virtue concerned with
more public actions such as looking and kissing and caressing we call *purity*.
*Purity* is a sort of adjunct serving chastity, not a separate virtue but a
sort of environment to chastity. Sexual sin is thought of as more disgraceful
than other immoderate action, partly because of the uncontrolled movements of
the genitals, but also because our reason gets submerged.

There are three levels to be considered in the act of sex: the physiological
level (the breaking of the hymen, etc) has no moral context as such; at the
psychological level shared by body and soul, emission of seed brings sensory
pleasure (the material side of the human moral act); and at the deepest level
there is an act of intention in the soul aiming at such pleasure (and making
that act a human, moral activity). Now *virginity* is defined by a moral
integrity: not then the integrity of the hymen as such, but a material immunity
from the pleasures of orgasm, wedded with a formal purpose of perpetual
abstinence from such pleasures. A hymen broken from some other cause is no more
a loss of virginity in this sense than a broken arm or leg. And the pleasure of
orgasm can be experienced unintentionally during sleep or externally forced
without a  person's consent. In no such case is virginity lost.

External goods are meant to serve our body's good, our body to serve our soul,
and in our soul the active life should serve the contemplative life. So it is
not a bad thing, but reasonable and right, to abstain from external
possessions, which are otherwise good, for the sake of the body's health or the
contemplation of truth. And in the same way abstaining from bodily pleasure so
as to make ourselves more freely available to contemplate truth, is reasonable
and right.

The injunction of the law in us by nature to *eat* must be observed by
everybody if individuals are to survive; but the injunction to *be fruitful and
multiply* obliges the community of mankind reproduce whilst others, abstaining
from that, give themselves up to the contemplation of God, and so bring a
beauty and health into the whole human race. To refuse all pleasure as such
because of dislike for it and without good reason is to be insensitive and
boorish. The practice of virginity doesn't refuse all pleasure, but only that
of sex, and that only for a good reason. Virginity seeks the soul's good in a
life of contemplation *mindful of the things of God*.

Marriage seeks the body's good--the bodily multiplication of the human race--in
an active life in which husband and wife are *mindful of the things of this
world*. Without doubt then the state of virginity is preferable to that of even
continent marriage, though married people may well be better people than those
practising virginity; more chaste, having a spirit that would have made them
better virgins were they called to it than those actually practising virginity,
and more virtuous in general.

The general good ranks above the good of the private person when those goods
are of the same sort. But the private good may be of a higher sort; and that is
what happens when virginity dedicated to God is compared with bodily
fruitfulness. However, the theological virtues and even the virtue of religion,
being directly occupied with God, are to be preferred to virginity. Again
martyrs cleave to God more mightily, because they lay down their own lives,
whilst those who dwell in monasteries lay down their own wills and all they
possess; virgins lay down only the pleasures of sex. Simply speaking then
virginity is by no means the greatest of virtues.

Use of food properly ordered for the body's welfare is no sin; and in the same
way, use of sex properly ordered for the purpose of human reproduction is no
sin. Virtuous balance is not measured quantitatively but by rightness of
reason, so the high degree of pleasure that attaches to a properly ordered
sex-act doesn't stop it being balanced. In any case virtue isn't concerned with
how much external sense-pleasure accompanies the act (that depends on the
body's temperament), but with the way that pleasure interiorly affects us.
Though not even our distraction from spiritual matters at the moment of
enjoying such pleasure makes it unvirtuous; for it is not unvirtuous to suspend
reason for a time for a good reason, otherwise sleeping would be a vice."