> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 I am not at all a fan of other things that he has done, but education
> and health is one area that I have heard he has done relatively well.
>

> You've heard wrong.

"Relatively well" refers to comparision with Castro's other
initiatives. I was under the impression that his health  and education
policies, while perhaps deficient in an absolute sense, were better,
more effective than his other programs.

Cuba ranks 55th in life expectance out of 226 countries. Given
statistical error, its about a dead heat with the US at 48th. Of
course the US is beaten by counties such as Greece, Spain, Puerto
Rico, Hong Kong, and Malta.  So you seem be indicating that While you
feel Cuba has failed in its health policies, so than has the US.
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

You imply that, relativly speaking, other of his programs were more
effective (since in relative terms his health and eductation programs
arelowratedcomparedtohis other programs). That would imply that some
of his other programs are as effective or more so than those in the
US. What programs were these?

In terms of literacy, out of 67 rankings (many more countries -- due
to lots of ties) Cuba is tied for 7th place (94%), compared to the US
at 4th place at 97%. Of course the US is bested by Poland, Russia,
Jamacia, Hungary, and Tonga. So we probably have a lot to learn  from
those coutries.

It appears that you feel the 3% difference between the US and Cuba
representsa dismal failure of Cuba. I wouldn't be so harsh. They  did
better than Mexico, Greece and Hong Kong.

http://www.theodora.com/wfb/1992/rankings/literacy_pct_1.html