Roger Ebert's Journal, from his website. He nails it, as he often does.
I particularly like his phrase to describe the events in the Middle
East: "remote controlled ignorance."

Tonight at dinner one of my housemates brought up a point I hadn't
thought of with regard to this whole lamentable mess, and why people in
Libya and other countries in the Middle East would assume that because
the film in question was made in America, America the nation must be
behind it and support it.

It's because where they live, that is the only way a film can be made.
The filmmakers have to petition the government for the right to make it,
and submit their scripts to them for pre-approval. If the government
does NOT approve, the film is never made. Many people in the Middle East
probably assumed that the same is true in the United States.
A statement and a "film"
By Roger Ebert on September 12, 2012 10:39 PM
| 396 Comments
<http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/09/a_statement_and_a_film.html#com\
ments>                                            | No TrackBacks
<http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/09/a_statement_and_a_film.html#tra\
ckbacks>
Set aside for a moment all of the  controversy. Do me the favor of
reading the actual words of the  statement released by our Egyptian
Embassy six hours before it was  attacked by radicals, and before a
similar attack in Libya that took  four innocent lives. Here it is:

"The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing
efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of
Muslims -- as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions.
Today, the 11th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on
the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who
serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy.
Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We
firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of
free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others."
What  exactly, is wrong with those words? Which ones do you disagree
with?  Let me set the stage for the statement. A "trailer" of dubious
origin,  for a film that has not been seen, was released some time ago
on YouTube  and widely overlooked. Then the "trailer" was translated
into Arabic,  and predictably stirred up outrage. As outrage spread in
the Middle  East, a press official for the Embassy wrote and released
the statement  without higher approval.

I agree with every word of this statement. Which parts would you
disagree with? Why?

Sentence One:  One-quarter of the earth's population is  Muslim,
including many Americans. Yes, their feelings can be hurt by a  crude
attack on the Prophet. I would go so far as to suggest those who  made
the trailer hoped to hurt their feelings. Why else, when their  original
effort failed to attract attention, did they pay to have it  translated
into Arabic, so it could be understood in nations where the  box office
appeal of the so-called film would be non-existent? The only purpose
must have been to hurt feelings.

Sentence Two:  True. Sincere. Heartfelt.

Sentence Three: I'll repeat it. "Respect for religious beliefs  is a
cornerstone of American democracy." This expresses one of the
fundamental founding principles of our nation.

Sentence Four: The statement rejects the actions of the  mysterious
people responsible for posting the trailer and the having it  translated
into Arabic.

Point me to the sentence that represents the "apology" that Gov.  Romney
referred to in his ill-advised statement. There is none. This  statement
amounts to a defense and explanation of our guarantees of  freedom of
speech. It might well have quoted: "I disapprove of what you  say, but I
will defend to the death your right to say it."

I agree that the press officer acted in haste and without
authorization--certainly not from the White House, although Romney
characterized his press release as coming from President Obama. The
president himself, acting with greater maturity and wisdom, pointed out
that the statement came from Embassy people who had reason to fear for
their lives. In such a situation, he said, his tendency is to "cut
people some slack."

This is possibly explained by the Embassy staffer's fear for his  life.
A lamentable number of Islamic extremists have short fuses and are
programmed to take offense at America after the slightest provocation.
The famous Rage Boy is the poster child of this tendency. Google him for
yourself. The film has the effect of crying out "fire" in a crowded
theater.

The Romney attack was made in such unseemly haste that we had still  not
learned of the deaths in Benghazi. But you know all about that. My
heart goes out to those victims of remote-controlled ignorance. The
murdered Ambassador was by all accounts considered by Libyans to be a
friend of theirs, and there has been a quiet demonstration in his
memory.

I want to focus on the "efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the
religious feelings of Muslims." The film was reputedly produced by a man
named Sam Bacile, who told a reporter on the telephone that he was an
Israeli Jew, and that his film was financed by "100 Jews." One person
who says he has met him, a consultant named Sam Klein, has stated that
this man is not named Bacile and is not an Israeli Jew. (I saw a tweet
pointing out that Mister or Monsieur Bacile comes out neatly as "M
Bacile.")

Why was he so specific about being an "Israeli Jew?" What did he hope
to achieve by that? Why was he so precise about the number "100 Jews?"
Not 95, or 105? No backers of any other religion?

I learn from an   article by Lucas Kavner
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/sam-bacile-film_n_1878060.html\
>  on  Huffington Post that "only a couple of the film's apparent
backers --  fringe figures like pastor Terry Jones, Morris Sadek of the
Coptic  Church and Steve Klein, a "consultant" on the film who
self-released an  anti-Islamic book in 2010 -- have come forward to
reveal themselves."  Kavner's article quotes surprising statements by
Klein, who has been  much involved in fringe groups.

Is there even a movie? The name of the "movie" is either "The  Innocence
of Muslims" or "Muslim Innocence." On YouTube, under the first  title,
there's a link saying "full movie," which is less than seven  minutes
long. Under the second title, I find three  trailers and a "full  movie"
clocking at at 5:22. I've read that some people have seen an  11-minute
version. I can't find anything else. Maybe you can. Let us  know. What I
saw was mostly bad acting, lame dialogue, B-reel footage,  inflammatory
scrolling words, and canned horror music. I'm not going to  link it; see
for yourself.

Isn't it obvious this is an inflammatory hoax? Doesn't a phrase like
"100 Jews" have the kind of specificity we often find in racist
fantasies? How did the odious publicity-seeker Terry Jones get involved
at such an early stage? Why is his photograph associated with so many
stories, while "Bacile" modestly remains invisible? Isn't it
transparently clear that that this whole affair was intended to offend
Muslims and stir up trouble? Isn't Jones the infamous Quran-burner? How
did he get out in front of this story so quickly?

My hunch is that when the origins of "The Innocence of Muslims" and  its
backers have been tracked down--and make no mistake, they will  be--the
full story will be vile and explosive.