--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Carlsen" <maskedzebra@...> wrote:

> Directions: Answer True or False or Can't Decide (CD). 1 point for T; -1
> point for F; 0 for CD

O.K. Robin, enough lazy screwing around for RD. Out of respect for your deep
reflection in writing this post, I'll answer as best I can. I'll admit a lot of
my thinking is founded on a "Maharishi" says paradigm, so I don't know how any
of this is going to play out when the paradigm bumps up against my life
experience or how I feel about a particular question in the moment or even if
I'll fully understand the intention of your question. An aside to Barry, this
is my OPINION.

> 1. I seek a truth beyond merely my own subjective comfort.

True. The big "T" Truth is *a* truth, an ideal aspiration at the core of my
being. It's natural to want to know the Truth. It's the nature of a seeker. Am
I always subjectively comfortable facing an ugly truth, the truth of violence
and hatred in the world or finding out I've been lied to? No, but I'd rather
know than not know.

> [2.] I like to know what is right, not just that I am right.

True. Knowing what's right and doing what's right is a matter of fairness to
others and to one's self.

> 3. I force myself to look at different points of view other than my own, in
> order to test out the truth of my own point of view.

True. I wouldn't call it "forcing" I'd call it "necessary." There is such a
variety of POV's in everyday relationships with family, friends, clients,
colleagues and on FFLife, that adjusting one's point of view to understand
where someone is coming from is important for nourishing relationships.  Flat
out disagreeing with someone *and* seeing their POV is often part of the
process.

> 4. My conscience is a friendly personal faculty for me. I trust it.

True. If I feel a twinge of guilt, it means I have to make amends and that's a
good thing. A conscience is a self-correcting feedback loop. I try give it
adequate rest and relaxation so that it doesn't have to do a lot of heavy
lifting.

> 5. I have known what it means to have sacrificed myself in my love for
> another person.

True. I would do anything to protect, nourish, and ensure the happiness and
well being of the dearest and most cherished people in my life. But I don't see
it as a sacrifice to give one's all to loved ones, it's a blessing.

> 6. It is meaningful for me, the connection between humility and a certain
> kind of (secular) grace.

True. I call it the attitude of gratitude from which all blessing flow.

> 7. I think sometimes it is appropriate and desirable to contemplate the fact
> that I must die someday.

Can't Decide. I don't see a reason to assign a value of "appropriate or
desirable" to the inevitability of death or the naturalness of wondering about
it, if it happens to pop into my head. It's not something I think about in the
contemplative sense.

> 8. I have known that it can be liberating to discover I was wrong about
> something--something which went directly to my sense of how confident I was
> that I was right.

False. I can't say that I've had such an experience, not that I can recall
anyway.

> 9. I find that my first person perspective is not rigidly fixed, that life,
> experience, persons, can bring about adjustment and adaptation and even
> change in my first person perspective.

False. Sorry, I don't understand the question from my first person perspective.

> 10. When I post something on FFL, I believe that I am doing something that in
> the end is positive.

Can't Decide. The jury, (my first person perspective jury) is still out on the
issue. All I can do is post what I believe to be true and let the hounds rip it
apart it they care to. If I defend what I feel is right and the shit flies,
some may see this as a negative result, but I see it as being fearless in
defending my truth. I guess that's a positive in the end, so maybe my answer
should be "True."

> 11. I judge myself to be an honest person, and I am confident if there is
> some kind of judgment at the end of my life, this estimation of myself will
> hold true.

True, for the honest person part, not sure about the judgment part, depends of
the judge and why wait for the end of life? Seems to me truth is something one
answers to everyday of one's life.

> 12. I like being the person that I am.

I'll say true and also admit there's always room for improvement.

> 13. I know the sensation of being sincere and innocent in my experience of
> myself and in my actions.

True. Innocence is playfulness. Sincerely, that's where all the fun is.

> 14. It feels good to try to be fair and impartial in my judgments of an issue.

True. When I can get past being pissed off at Libertarians, which is never, it
feels good to be fair and impartial to Democrats.

> 15. If I appeared in a novel as myself, I would like this character.

True. Cheeky little wench.

> 16. I think some persons are more objective and accurate in their approach to
> interpersonal relationships than others.

True. This is a question ripe for another quiz...on a scale from 1 to 10 how
would you rate the objectivity of Barry, RD, Judy, etc.

> 17. I feel I could send myself up ironically if I had to.

True, paragon of virtue that I am.

> 18. I think I see my faults and my weaknesses as well as anyone else sees
> them (in me).

True. I'm the one working here, folks, and I'm fairly sure I know what the
building site looks like. I'll weigh the value of constructive criticism but
I'm not too keen to fit anyone's square pegs in to my round holes.

> 19. I like thinking about the strongest way of presenting the argument of an
> adversary of mine.

True. Sometimes I'm just lazy about making a "strong" argument, so I make
jokes. That's the part of the creative process that I enjoy the most and
sometimes it's more effective.

> 20. I have suffered in my life, but some of that suffering has been very
> meaningful to me.

Very True.