--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Carlsen" <maskedzebra@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@> wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "marekreavis" <reavismarek@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think a lot of us had this same experience with Maharishi. That's why
> > > his own recounting of his first exposure to Guru Dev had such resonance;
> > > we could relate to it in a visceral way. Not everyone did, of course, but
> > > it sure set the hook for a lot of dedicated service that followed.
> > >
> > It's true, marek. When I first heard Maharishi's story of meeting Guru Dev,
> > I did relate to it in a visceral way. I hadn't made the connection between
> > my first contact with Maharishi and his first contact with Guru Dev, but it
> > seems to make sense, it's was the biggest most glorious hook of my life.
> > > ***

> Dear raunchy,
>
> For me, seeing Maharishi physically (especially having him address one
> personally, or even just being very near to him) was always the most decisive
> and efficacious spiritual experience I ever had. Whatever is the final
> explanation for Maharishi and all that happened to us as TM Teachers, I have
> the strongest sense that there has never been anyone since Christ who could
> influence a human being deep inside that human being as Maharishi could.
>
> I believe your experience of Maharishi at the airport--and that hook with
> regard to his relationship with Guru Dev--is at the very heart of what the
> entire experience of being a disciple of Maharishi was all about. The most
> sophisticated idea I could have of what God would be like if he became a
> human being: Maharishi, at the peak of his powers and brilliance, was this.
> Having Maharishi arrive in his helicopter and then spend several hours with
> us (I am thinking especially of my Six Month Course)--each of us trying to
> get as near to him as possible--was like nothing else we will ever know.
> Whoever Maharishi was, the powers behind the universe gave him capacities
> that no other human being has ever had. His beauty and radiance and energy
> penetrated into my body and consciousness and heart.
>
> There is no religious experience that could, in our lifetime, be a substitute
> for the experience of being in the physical presence of Maharishi. He utterly
> changed me when I first came to know him at Queen's University in the summer
> of 1972, and then on three separate courses in Europe he transformed me so
> that I became a different person. There has only been one truly magical being
> in my life, and that was Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. He WAS the best imitation of
> the Second Coming there will ever be. And, as Marek points out, his
> reflections on his relationship with Guru Dev, one just knew this is what it
> is all about: that one was to emulate Maharishi in this way, by orienting
> oneself towards Maharishi as he oriented himself to Guru Dev. Maharishi lived
> a truth of consciousness that cannot be denied. The question becomes: Is the
> [...]

Dear Robin, thanks you for such an exquisite description of your relationship
with Maharishi. The end of your journey with him from agony to ecstasy seems to
have required wearing hair shirt when an elegantly styled Giorgio Armani would
have been so much more comfortable. When you say, doing violence to yourself,
such as self-inflicted pain in the extreme, I think of Oedipus sticking a pin
in his eyes. Is such crushing guilt only relieved by pain?

Everyone suffers loss and emotional pain in life but consciously choosing to
suffer is difficult to understand. When I think what it would be like to use
one's will to break a bond with Maharishi, I would compare it to breaking an
addiction to an abusive or co-dependent relationship. Admitting one is
powerless over the addition, the first step in a twelve-step program for drug
addiction, only keeps the addiction at bay; one never really recovers. Are you
still in recovery? One taste of the demon TM and you'll fall off the wagon?

You seem to have come through your experience of de-enlightenment still
possessing an amazing intelligence and depth of insight into the heart and mind
of human beings (animals too?) like no one I've ever known. I know you and I
don't know you, but I feel I do. I love your uncompromising quest for what is
true and beautiful in life.

God speed and blessings to you always,
raunchydog
http://youtu.be/0XTKJNNYSl8