--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Carlsen" <maskedzebra@> wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@> wrote:

> > > It's true, marek. When I first heard Maharishi's story of meeting Guru
> > > Dev, I did relate to it in a visceral way. I hadn't made the connection
> > > between my first contact with Maharishi and his first contact with Guru
> > > Dev, but it seems to make sense, it's was the biggest most glorious hook
> > > of my life.

> > Dear raunchy,
> >
> > For me, seeing Maharishi physically (especially having him address one
> > personally, or even just being very near to him) was always the most
> > decisive and efficacious spiritual experience I ever had. Whatever is the
> > final explanation for Maharishi and all that happened to us as TM Teachers,
> > I have the strongest sense that there has never been anyone since Christ
> > who could influence a human being deep inside that human being as Maharishi
> > could.
> >
> > I believe your experience of Maharishi at the airport--and that hook with
> > regard to his relationship with Guru Dev--is at the very heart of what the
> > entire experience of being a disciple of Maharishi was all about. The most
> > sophisticated idea I could have of what God would be like if he became a
> > human being: Maharishi, at the peak of his powers and brilliance, was this.
> > Having Maharishi arrive in his helicopter and then spend several hours with
> > us (I am thinking especially of my Six Month Course)--each of us trying to
> > get as near to him as possible--was like nothing else we will ever know.
> > Whoever Maharishi was, the powers behind the universe gave him capacities
> > that no other human being has ever had. His beauty and radiance and energy
> > penetrated into my body and consciousness and heart.
> >
> > There is no religious experience that could, in our lifetime, be a
> > substitute for the experience of being in the physical presence of
> > Maharishi. He utterly changed me when I first came to know him at Queen's
> > University in the summer of 1972, and then on three separate courses in
> > Europe he transformed me so that I became a different person. There has
> > only been one truly magical being in my life, and that was Maharishi Mahesh
> > Yogi. He WAS the best imitation of the Second Coming there will ever be.
> > And, as Marek points out, his reflections on his relationship with Guru
> > Dev, one just knew this is what it is all about: that one was to emulate
> > Maharishi in this way, by orienting oneself towards Maharishi as he
> > oriented himself to Guru Dev. Maharishi lived a truth of consciousness that
> > cannot be denied. The question becomes: Is the most extraordinary personal
> > consciousness that was Maharishi's consciousness, does that consciousness
> > represent objectively the truth of the fulfillment of what a human being
> > can be?
> >
> > I have decided that Maharishi was more seductive and entrancing and
> [...]

Dear raunchydog,

I had plenty of the "elegantly styled Giorgio Armani" when I was in Unity
Consciousness, raunchy. The spell I was under was so powerful and convincing: I
was unconquerable and undefeatable in every sense because of what Maharishi had
bestowed upon me on that mountain--this is how I interpreted my experience of
becoming enlightened; that it was through Maharishi's grace that this was
happening to me. I felt, quite apart from the practising of TM (and extras),
that my devotion to Maharishi was the critical element in this gratuitous
transformation of my consciousness and person.

Once I turned towards Catholicism (nearly ten years after Arosa) my
enlightenment became problematic--metaphysically: it was not  a state of
consciousness or 'style of functioning' that was permissible according to the
philosopy of Thomas Aquinas, and according to the whole Catholic conception of
the individual human being in relation to the Fall, sin, good and evil, heaven
and hell, grace, the Virgin Mary, the Saints, the sacraments: Either Hinduism
(and Maharishi) were right; or else Catholicism (and Christ) were right. These
were mutually exclusive truths--if understood in their uncompromised form
(pre-Vatican II; the Gita and Vedic philosophy). What is reality? There were
two different and incompatible metaphysics here: Maharishi and Christ.

Before I turned towards the Church--based upon a single experience of receiving
a consecrated Host while I was sick, giving a seminar in Manhattan--authority
was rooted in my own consciousness; after this, I had no authority--which is to
say, the truths of Roman Catholicism--thus, Christ--supplanted the sense of the
infallibility of my enlightenment. The whole enterprise began to come
apart--and while this was unravelling I became increasingly judgmental and
categorical in my response to the persons who were closest to me.

The real turning point, however, raunchy, came when my best friend (although he
was not at this time) demonstrated to me that my perception of a matter
concerning myself was incorrect, and that his perception of me was the
objective one. I had never experienced anything like this in my life: someone
proving they knew me better than I knew myself. At that moment--even though I
had begun to challenge my enlightenment intellectually and religiously (via
Catholicism and the breakdown of the trustworthiness of my authority)--my inner
and outer world literally collapsed. My enlightenment--which required that I
was always in contact with more truth than anyone non-enlightened--was
fundamentally refuted. The vertiginous experience of this was like nothing that
had ever happened to me not just since my enlightenment, but even in the whole
span of my life.

My friend, who subsequently came to live with me (because of his remarkable and
inspired insight into me), began a process of showing me how, in ten thousand
different ways, I had got it all wrong, and this process of confrontation,
analysis, revelation, humiliation, and treatment (I applied the treatment, the
remedy myself: I 'operated' on myself) has continued over the course of the
past twenty-five years.

There was suffering in contacting the pain of my delusions, my distortions, my
infirmities; there was suffering in the realization of how deceived and wrong I
was in my fundamental assumptions about myself; there was suffering in the
humiliation and disgrace of being proven to have been mistaken in my judgments
of other persons; there was suffering in rooting out the causes of my
blindness, my naivete, my being deceived, my inappropriate engagement with
hopeless causes; and finally, there was suffering that was entailed in
performing 'operations' on myself. My friend through his challenges to me was
causing me to remake myself, raunchy.

Now my love for Maharishi was of course the highest love I had ever known, and
my experiences with TM--and all the techniques added to that (like the Two Week
Extension--unbelievably sublime that was)--the six sets of asanas and pranayama
I did every day under personal instructions from Maharishi himself at the end
of my ATR--took me to places I never dreamed were possible, and finally, to the
state of consciousness Maharishi has described in *The Science of Being and the
Art of Living*and elsewhere. Everything that Maharishi has said Unity would be
like, raunchy, came true for me personally. And for those who were initiators
and knew me, they could have no doubt once they spent time with me, that I was
indeed in Unity--this was something demonstrable by the way my intelligence and
sensitivity and behaviour manifested themselves: it was never a matter of
belief that I was enlightened. Enlightenment in my case became something that
had to prove itself in every moment. And it did. And until the last fifteen
months or so of the ten year period when I was in Unity, it was the supreme and
extraordinary adventure of our lives.

Everyone stayed with the whole enterprise of my enlightenment because each
person knew he or she was deriving benefit from what was happening through my
enlightenment. Our lives became a live metaphysical theatre--and the seminars
themselves were the formal and concentrated focus of what was actually going on
every day outside of the seminar. There was nothing to compare to it, raunchy.
But it started to come apart when I became convinced of the polarized idea of
people either being good or not good--in some irrevocable way. And then
Catholicism, and then the devastating truth of my friend's indictment of my
lack of self-knowledge, lack of self-objectivity. And, as has been described
here on FFL, Ann Woelfle had something to do with this too. :-)

So I went into seclusion far away from the scene of my disgrace and ignominy
and shame, even as I made a living as a substitute teacher (no one knew of my
past obviously). Those twenty-five years crushed me, put me on my knees, and
made me often despair about even my sanity, or my capacity to endure the
suffering and violence. But I crossed a threshold of change in April of this
year, and things have been very different since then, even as I continue to
find there are things about me which I need to change.

I could, it is true, surrender myself to my TM-Maharishi past, and become
totally consumed by that mystical context--and as you rightly point out, or
imply: to do so would undo all of what I have achieved in these twenty-five
years. So I treat all things TM and Maharishi as anathema. But this does not
mean denying what was true, most profoundly true for me: that Maharishi was
like the Son of God come onto the earth--like Christ--and that he raised me up
and transformed me and strengthened me and loved me and filled me with his
grace and his own enlightened mind and heart. I have come to recognize a higher
truth than Maharishi, but I shall never, as long as I remain in this world,
ever experience the kind of ecstasy and love and exhilaration and power and
energy that I experienced in the presence of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, raunchy.

I don't believe anyone has truly taken the measure of who Maharishi really
was--I mean whatever intelligence is behind this entire creation, that
intelligence knows who Maharishi was, and is; that intelligence gave to
Maharishi a personality and consciousness and majesty which exceeds manifoldly
anyone who has existed in my lifetime--even though it appears you had to do
Transcendental Meditation to realize this. There are things about
Maharishi--and of course myself--that I still do not know, raunchy. But I do
know this: He was the most significant human being who was alive while I was
alive, and my memories of being with him are memories of being with something
higher than the gods and and the  archangels. EXPERIENTIALLY, that is.
Objectively, I have have been forced to conclude that Maharishi did not possess
either the personal or even impersonal integrity to justify what he claimed to
be and what he claimed as his purpose in this life.

The suffering (coming out of my enlightenment) has been the most real
experience of my life--but there were antecedent causes for my being
susceptible to the mystical sources of power and influence which go to make a
person enlightened. I am still tracking down and overcoming these causes,
raunchy. But despite this, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi will never be anything less
than I knew him to be.

 I thank you for your extremely generous and thoughtful comments here, raunchy.
Reading your post took me completely by surprise. It was a response that I was
so far from expecting. And it has had an effect on me which you surely would
have anticipated when you wrote these kind and loving words about me.

Deeply appreciative of what you have given to me here, raunchydog,
Robin