--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, awoelflebater <no_reply@...> wrote:

> Dear Judy, I think you and I were the only ones that knew
> where that line really came from.

Gee, I'd be surprised if that were the case. It's become
something of a meme. I hear people imitating it all the
time.

> Jack, when he shouted that, conveyed the best of who
> Nicholson is as an actor.

For me, that's not saying much. Don't mean to be contrary,
but I think he's highly overrated. He's not bad when he's
playing a Nicholson role, as in "A Few Good Men," but even
in that film, in that big speech, there's something
disturbingly rote in his delivery. All he really had to do
was be vehement and get the words out clearly, and that's
no challenge for him. In a strange way, he was phoning it
in, it seemed to me.

Whenever he's cast against type, it's been a disaster, as
far as I'm concerned. The only non-Nicholson role I've ever
thought he was good in was as Eugene O'Neill in Warren Beatty's "Reds." You'd
hardly know it was Jack Nicholson,
the actor was so perfectly subsumed in the character. I
would love to know how Beatty (who directed) managed to get
him to do that.