--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <authfriend@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, awoelflebater no_reply@ wrote:
> >
> > Dear Judy, I think you and I were the only ones that knew
> > where that line really came from.
>
> Gee, I'd be surprised if that were the case. It's become
> something of a meme. I hear people imitating it all the
> time.
>
> > Jack, when he shouted that, conveyed the best of who
> > Nicholson is as an actor.
>
> For me, that's not saying much. Don't mean to be contrary,
> but I think he's highly overrated. He's not bad when he's
> playing a Nicholson role, as in "A Few Good Men," but even
> in that film, in that big speech, there's something
> disturbingly rote in his delivery. All he really had to do
> was be vehement and get the words out clearly, and that's
> no challenge for him. In a strange way, he was phoning it
> in, it seemed to me.
Ah, you can be as contrary as you like, I don't mind.
  Jack, for me, is an icon. He is just so much 'Jack' as this
recognizable Hollywood institution. Those eyebrows, that smirk, that
smarmy voice, that cool thing he has going on, maybe not now but for
sure back then. It isn't that I think I would like the man in person but
he certainly is regarded as close to royalty as is possible in the
industry. He can be such a snarky curmudgeon, a really sleazy bad guy.
Anyway, I, unlike you, found him really powerful in that scene in "A Few
Good Men". He actually reminded me of my father during that outburst in
the courtroom. My dad had this ex-marine machismo at times and the guy
could command an audience whether you agreed with what he was saying or
not.
If I remember correctly Jack did something pretty darn good in "About
Schmidt". I haven't seen it for a while so I might not feel that today
but at the time I liked it a lot. Check it out if you haven't seen
it.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/About_Schmidt

> Whenever he's cast against type, it's been a disaster, as
> far as I'm concerned. The only non-Nicholson role I've ever
> thought he was good in was as Eugene O'Neill in Warren Beatty's
"Reds." You'd hardly know it was Jack Nicholson,