--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Carlsen"
<maskedzebra@...> wrote:

> If you don't have the hair stand up on your back of your head
> after reading the book, I will personally refund the cost of
> the book. ;-)

I'm beginning to get the impression you like this book Robin. OK
already - I'm buying it! (Or rather reserving it - it's not yet
available as a proper book at Amazon I see, only as a wretched digital
version).

> Nagel goes where no one else has gone...

It's all 'footnotes to Plato', no? But on the Darwinian issue
particularly, I think I once noticed a reference you made to the
Biochemist Michael Behe. So I guess you're familiar with him? I have
recently read Darwin's Black Box and found it fascinating (I think
this book would interest you salyavin808!). You've also mentioned
James Le Fanu (http://www.jameslefanu.com/books). But I wonder, have
you read any David Stove? He's a wonderfully entertaining iconoclast
who has much fun with Dawkins - "Darwinian Fairytales".
http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~jim/davidstove.html

>.. PaliGap, and it is the connection between his own intelligence
> and first person ontology with reality itself [my theory]
> which gives such force and power and clarity to his book.

I'd love to see his reaction to that!

> For me, Nagel's book becomes the occasion to demonstrate the
> primacy of the importance of one's first person perspective(!)...

An excellent choice of expression if I may say so.

>..in determining one's experience and judgment of almost
> everything that is important to us. *Especially what is true*.

Well, er... not sure about that.

> In the postmodern age reading this book comes closest to what
> could be described as an objective religious experience; because
> one is encountering something so rare: the circumstance of *what
> is the case* (what is the truth) somehow getting contained in
> the brain and heart and character of a single human being
> and articulating itself--even as Nagel would never consider he
> has written his book under the influence of any kind of muse.

Yes you do seem to like this book. What passion for a dry,
philosophical tome! As a young man I would think your experience of
'first love' must have been dangerously intense.