> Hint: Nagel is an atheist.

Having read a few reviews of the book perhaps we can say that Nagel
only *thinks* he's an atheist. His arguments seem to be coming from
the place of personal incredulity and not from a demolition of
established theory, which isn't convincing as no-one has ever said
the whole shebang of scientific understanding is done and dusted.

He sounds like one of the intelligent design crowd to me - or at least he
offers no third way that I could find, not there could be one don't you think?
At most it will be just a new concept of the same old thing.

But I shall read the book because he has a comment on Richard
Dawkin's excellent demolition of Paley's argument that the eye
is proof of a designer "nothing so complex and perfect could
have arisen by chance" they used to say, until Darwinists pointed
out that the mammalian eye is actually a crap design and proof
of nothing except that we have been bodged up from day one.