Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances. I quit going
to the Dome when I was on staff due to a really serious allergy to
formaldehyde, which in those days at least was a major component in making
foam.
The longer I was in the Dome, the worse I felt.

So I stopped
going. I did program by myself in my pod room and felt great both in and out of
program. As twice a day in the Dome was part of the staff program, I was called
in to the Personnel Director’s office (Bill Sands) and he gave me a serious
talk and threatened me with dismissal if I didn’t start toeing the line.

I told him about the allergy and he said it didn’t matter,
rules were rules. I showed him the letter I had from my allergy doctor (Allen
Lieberman in Charleston SC) saying that I had to avoid formaldehyde exposure.
Bill
said it still didn’t matter. Rules were rules. No exceptions.

So I returned to the Dome and after a couple days started
feeling like crap again. So I thought about things and decided to write a
letter to then TM Sidhi Administrator Greg Wilson and told him my story and
sent him a copy of the letter from my allergy doctor.
nd a couple weeks later to my surprise he wrote me a letter
back giving me permission to do program in my room, tho he suggested that I
might consider serving MIU in some other capacity since Dome attendance was
part of staff program. So I quit going to the Dome again.

A couple weeks went by and I was called into Bill Sands office
again, with my letters in my pocket. After he gave me hell and pretty much told
me my time at MIU was over, I told him I had permission from Greg Wilson and
showed him my letter, or rather a copy of it, I wisely had the original in my
room.

Bill was completely discombobulated and hemmed and hawed and
puffed and blustered but had to back down, but he didn’t like it. So I went
back to doing program in my room and had great experiences and was much more
effective in activity for about eight months until Bill found a way to get rid
of me.