> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, laughinggull108 <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb no_reply@ wrote:
> > >
> > > One gets the feeling that the author of the Salon piece didn't
> really
> > > see it, either. He says stuff like, "In Apocalypto, the arrival of
> the
> > > Spanish signals 'a new beginning.' Remarkably, the event is
> portrayed as
> > > tranquil, as if the Spaniards are the adults who have finally come
> > > rescue the 'littleuns' stranded on the island of William Golding's
> > > "Lord of the Flies." This is total bullshit, and did not happen in
> > > the film. The pedantic professor is *projecting* this onto the
> movie.
> > > The line "a new beginning" clearly refers to the hero's new life now
> > > that he has rescued his wife and children, and escaped his pursuers.
> It
> > > has *nothing to do* with the arrival of the Spanish; they are mere
> > > backdrops.
> >
> > If what I remember in history is correct, i.e. that the Spaniards
> brought
> > smallpox and other disease to the Mayan empire, then I viewed the
> > arrival of the Spaniards at the end of the movie as the ultimate
> ironic
> > statement of the movie...they actually *hastened* the downfall of the
> > Mayan empire (now how's *that* for change?).
>
> This is true, but most of the "empire" was already gone by the
> time the Spanish arrived.
>
> > Really, this was the first thought that went through my mind the first
> > time I saw the movie and the camera panned from the surprised faces
> > of the Mayans on the beach to the Spanish ships anchored offshore.
>
> Mine, too. Of course, we had the advantage of actually having
> seen the movie; Judy did not.
>
> > With that in mind, perhaps one can now interpret what happened in
> > the movie in other ways: karmic return for the "civilized" Mayans,
> > the salvation of the young Mayan (once again) and his family by his
> > decision to turn his back on the yet unknown and ultimate death
> > that the Spaniards were bringing (again, this is what I thought the
> > first time I saw this scene), etc.
>
> One can interpret *a movie one has actually seen* any way one
> wants; that does not mean that the writer/director saw it that way.
>
> > I found the movie disturbing yet fascinating at the same time, and
> > am not sure one can read too much into the movie other than
> > Gibson's story-telling ability then letting the audience come to
> > their own conclusions.
>
> The whole point of the author's tirade and Judy's piggybacking
> on it was that they didn't WANT the audience to come to their
> own conclusions. They wanted them to agree with THEIR
> conclusions, however wrong they were.

I hear what you're saying, I really do, but I just wanted to expand of what was
already started as an opportunity for me to talk about the movie and some of
the conclusions I came to. Like you, I didn't see any Christian themes in the
movie and didn't even know Gibson had directed it until the end credits,
therefore I was able to view the movie without any preconceived notions
whatsoever with regard to what such a director might be trying to say in the
movie. Like you, I viewed it as simply a good story well told with some spotty
history as the backdrop.

> > However, with his beliefs coming through loud and clear in his
> > later "Passion of the Christ" movie...
>
> Ooops. Stop right there. "The Passion of the Christ" was *earlier*,
> not later. "Apocalypto" = 2006, "TPofC" = 2004.

Oopsy, my bad. When I wrote that, I had a momentarily impulse to google it to
see if I had my facts right but then decided not to (very interesting...maybe I
need to start acting on my impulses).

> > ...maybe the arrival of the Spaniards *was* intended to represent
> > the ultimate salvation of the heathen Mayans (now how's *that*
> > for salvation?).
>
> Mel's one crazy-assed religious fanatic, that's for sure. What I'm
> saying is that I saw NONE of that in this film. Nor did most
> people who saw it. Even the Pedantic Professor didn't see anything
> "Christian" in the movie, or if he did he didn't mention it in the
> article he wrote for Salon. JUDY "saw" that -- in a film that she
> never saw.
>
> One would think, if she actually meant what she has said many
> times about "rigorous honesty" being the willingness to expose
> oneself to facts that might prove oneself W...W...W...WRONG,
> that she'd have bothered to rent the film by now and then issue
> an apology to Mel Gibson for slandering him. But I think we all
> know that's never going to happen.
>
> Please don't get me wrong. I don't think Mel Gibson is the best
> filmmaker in the world as a director, only that he has a certain
> flair for action/romance movies. In that respect, he's a lot like
> Warren Beatty. The latter's movie "Reds" was not about the
> Russian Revolution, ferchrissakes, it was about the love story
> between John Reed and Louise Bryant.

Good comparison. And if I may extend a bit: as I recall, none of Beatty's, in
this case, *political* rather than *religious* leanings came through in his
direction of "Reds"...he was telling a good story with spotty history as the
backdrop.

> Similarly, "Apocalypto" was not a movie about the Maya per
> se, or an attempt to be completely factual. That's what the
> Pedantic Professor would have wanted, or created himself if
> he'd had the ability to. It was an ENTERTAINMENT, a
> story meant to entertain, and possibly uplift with its eventual
> triumph of the main character overcoming everything thrown
> at him, and being reunited with his wife and kids.
>
> Trying to diss it for being not as factual as an academic Maya
> nerd might have wanted it to is as STOOOOOPID as trying to
> diss the film "Cleopatra" for being not 100% accurate in its
> depictions of Egypt and Roman soldiers. "Cleopatra" was a
> love story; so was "Apocalypto."

Another good comparison, that is, "Cleopatra" to "Apocalypto", with the
STOOOOOPID left out (been there, done that, not going there again).