> I'll have more to say this evening about Barry's hysterical meltdown, but in
> the meantime, here's a post I made back in 2007 after Barry had brought this
> up again. The Maya expert in the Salon article I quoted was, um, not exactly
> the only knowledgeable person to have been upset by the movie:

> A few selections from articles discussing the historical inaccuracies in
> "Apocalypto"...

Barry is just doing what he always does, so why is this an 'hysterical
meltdown'?

As for Apocalypto, a rather brutal film, it's fiction. Even documentary films
have very selective viewpoints, are assembled from secondary material, like old
film prints (of which the original negative would be the most primary source),
recollections, etc., so such a film has many elements of fiction, a retelling
of a tale. The original event, say World War II, is long gone, it happened
once, and fragmented memories of the event in the minds of people, and the
shards of physical remains, military reports, news accounts, films, photos, are
reassembled in what one thinks is a likeness of the event. For example the
current film 'Lincoln' is not what happened, it is a representation of what
happened and historically, if one looks at details, it has a skewed viewpoint
compared with a consensus view (also skewed) of 'what happened'.

I recall the end of 'Apocalypto' and if I make an interpretation of it, it is
just as skewed as the film is skewed in relation to any original event
concerning the Maya. To put it simply my fictional account of the finale of the
film is this:

* The Mayan family hides in the forest as the Spaniards come.

Now to this I can layer on additional interpretations from my own mind, based
on rather poor memories of reading history books and from school. I can then
project that the Mayan civilisation will fall, that the Spaniards are bringing
the true Catholic faith to these poor savages because I remember that Spain was
Catholic, and Gibson is Catholic. But I have never been to Spain, let alone in
the 16th century. I have never met Mel Gibson. My 'knowledge' of Gibson rests
entirely on non-primary sources, does not rest on any actual experience of the
purported existence of Gibson. I watched 'Apocalypto' on a DVD. If I had to,
say, prove anything on the basis of direct experience about that DVD, where it
came from, how it came to be, and how it related to an actual world, it would
be an impossible task. Only if I were very general, and adopted what I would
term a conventional viewpoint about reality would this even be thinkable, and
the result would be entirely derivative, would be just as much a fiction as
what I was investigating.