I have to admit reading your experience made me cry again. I felt like a
traitor for not being willing to do anything and everything possible to keep
her alive. I even have a holistic vet friend who was willing to guide me with
regards to diet, herbs and treatment (she lives in Spokane and was Shakti's vet
years ago when she lived in SC)

The night before I was up about half the night, and as I sat with her, I could
tell or at least I felt she was already not fully in her body - the other thing
was for me to choose to keep her alive I would have had to move her to my new
place and she would have had to become an indoor cat after nearly 18 years of
traipsing around in the woods outside my old house - I just didn't want to put
her through the stress of a new strange environment and then have to put her to
sleep in that strange environment - the vet I took her to said she might have a
year, or she might go down hill in 2-3 weeks. (it was kidney failure - we
completely missed what few symptoms were there - mainly drinking way more water
than she usually did - in fact that was the only symptom for about 3 months and
I was stupid enough to be happy that she was being well hydrated)

I just wanted her to go in the same place she had lived and known for all those
years - it was still a very strange thing to place her on the table after they
had give the tranquilizer and step back so the vet and her assistant could
administer the euthanasia drug.

She survived all those years, lost an eye to our other cat when she was about
4, got bitten by a copperhead once, escaped a fox that chased her right up the
cat ladder that led to her cat door in the window, brought innumerable live
mice into the house and let them loose, plus the 2 flying squirrels she let
loose in my bedroom - she even caught a bat one night - that really freaked me
out - I didn't know it was possible for a cat to catch a bat.

Once my roommate had planted some small bushes that died mysteriously until she
pulled on one and it came straight up in her hand - from having been bitten
half into by a mole - she was so mad - she looked around at Shakti and said
"Why don't you go kill those moles?"

Less than 5 minutes later Shakti came up with the muffled maowing that denoted
a kill and damned if she didn't have a mole in her mouth.

So thank you Curtis and everyone for your condolences - I really appreciate it
more than I can say.