Thanks Em.  I guess I am dense.  I don't recall what that comment was,
or the tone of it.

I like everything you write here, Emily, even if I take issue with it
sometimes.

But thank you again for your sympathies.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn wrote:

> Oh...I'm sorry Steve for my last comment. Â Not an easy time to
lose an animal. Â

> >________________________________

to get around and jump as easily.  So, the one cat fits that
description.  The second cat would love to be outdoors all the
time.  But my wife is a bit over protective, so she let's him out
early (on weekends) before he's been fed, and so he comes back after
about an hour for food.  He is not nearly as affectionate, and has
always been afraid of me.Â
> >We also have a cat at my place of business.  This was a kitty
that showed up at our house a couple years ago, (already declawed
and spayed) but we couldn't take another one in.  So, he stays at my
place of business, (goes home with an employee on the weekends) and she
(she's a caleco),  can go in and out as she pleases.
> >Well, my wife just called, Our black and white long hairÂ
kitty, Buttons has cancer is going to have to be put down.  The
daughter just went upstairs crying.  I'll likely start
crying as soon as I see my wife.  We had Buttons for about  15
years.  Â
> >--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson wrote:
> >>
> >> Wow! I can't imagine being able to train a cat - the two I have
had, Shakti and Shiva (a 15 lb. black and white shorthair who used to
sleep on my shoulders when I was in the kitchen cooking) made it plain
to me that they were not willing to be trained.

> >> I was raised with dogs too - mutts always, never had a pure bred
dog, although the Chow I once had was nearly pure (no black tongue)
Shiva changed that - got him as a tiny kitten, eyes still closed - my
girlfriend-at-the-time's daddy's cocker spaniel brought it in his house,
the mom had been killed by another dog - actually the cocker brought in
two kittens, Shiva's brother didn't make it

> >> Anyway, bottle raising that kitty opened up my feline felicity.
> >>
> >> I hope all goes well with your cat - and enjoy your vacation!
> >>

> >> ________________________________

animal hopsital where she just took our cat.  He appeared to be
constipated.  But in the last month or so he has been drinking
way more water than usual.  But he had a blood test that
indicated than nothing was abnormal.  I don't know what will
happen if..............
> >> This cat adores her.  And of course we leave for vacation
tomorrow.
> >> I grew up with a dog.  Somehow, the thought of the cat
moving on to his reward doesn't bother me so much.ÂÂ
> >> But how nice that your cat had an active outdoor life.  Our
two cats get limited outside time.  She has them trained
to come back after about an hour, and that's what they get for the day.

> >> ÂÂ

like a traitor for not being willing to do anything and everything
possible to keep her alive. I even have a holistic vet friend who was
willing to guide me with regards to diet, herbs and treatment (she lives
in Spokane and was Shakti's vet years ago when she lived in SC)

her, I could tell or at least I felt she was already not fully in her
body - the other thing was for me to choose to keep her alive I would
have had to move her to my new place and she would have had to become an
indoor cat after nearly 18 years of traipsing around in the woods
outside my old house - I just didn't want to put her through the stress
of a new strange environment and then have to put her to sleep in that
strange environment - the vet I took her to said she might have a year,
or she might go down hill in 2-3 weeks. (it was kidney failure - we
completely missed what few symptoms were there - mainly drinking way
more water than she usually did - in fact that was the only symptom for
about 3 months and I was stupid enough to be happy that she was being
well hydrated)

for all those years - it was still a very strange thing to place her on
the table after they had give the tranquilizer and step back so the vet
and her assistant could administer the euthanasia drug.

she was about 4, got bitten by a copperhead once, escaped a fox that
chased her right up the cat ladder that led to her cat door in the
window, brought innumerable live mice into the house and let them loose,
plus the 2 flying squirrels she let loose in my bedroom - she even
caught a bat one night - that really freaked me out - I didn't know it
was possible for a cat to catch a bat.

mysteriously until she pulled on one and it came straight up in her hand
- from having been bitten half into by a mole - she was so mad - she
looked around at Shakti and said "Why don't you go kill those moles?"

that denoted a kill and damned if she didn't have a mole in her mouth.

appreciate it more than I can say.

years ago around this time of year. I'm glad you were able to make this
final act of kindness, and I know it is hard.

few distinctively ticked brown hairs in it and it brought instant tears.

cases, even though I would constantly chase her out because the top
could fall on her. When I would catch her, usually as I was packing for
a show, she would raise up her tiny head, defiant. My preliminary
scolding hiss would only make her hunker down deeper into the plush.

much plusher, but not forbidden so less interesting, bed. She would
stretch, give me one last withering gaze, and settle into a nap,
triumphant in getting me to react, which was the whole point of the
exercise.

cat put to sleep - I was very attached to her - so I been kinda quiet
since then