--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson wrote:

I taught several hundred.  Most all, with maybe the exception of one
completed all seven steps.  Most came back from the 10 day check, and
many for subsequent checking.

It would surprise me if more than 10%  who originally started have
continued with the practice.  But most reported positive results after
learning.  The practice does require 20 minutes twice a day which can
become a chore, especially if the benefits become incremental after a
time.

But generally there was something that motivated people to begin the
practice, and perhaps they got what they wanted after a brief time.  The
monetary investment was not great.  And as Susan says, those who had a
particular issue they wanted to address were generally more motivated to
stay with it.  This plays into TM as a treatment for PTSD.

Perhaps if you seperate out the technique from the personalities running
it, you might have a more objective view about it.  And I hope that you
are devoting as much time to getting your own solutions implemented as
you are to bashing the TM solution.

> > I have heard a number of people who have taught TM for many years
speak about the numbers of their initiates who didn't even finish the 3
days checking - how about it, all you TM teachers who post here? What
would you say are the numbers you taught and how many of them lasted
even a year? I would really like to know if that number is over the 10%
a couple of former teachers have mentioned here.

> Almost everyone I taught came for all 3 days of checking. I taught
well over 1500 people. Don't know how many stuck with it - I think it
depended on why they had started, how busy they were, and if it felt
good to meditate. People we had health issues like high bp, anxiety,
insomnia, were always more serious about giving TM a good long try.

> > The point being if TM is as fine as fried chicken, biscuits and
gravy, how come so many people don't do it very long, or quit after a
few years?

> > But being that the TM for PTSD is ongoing, let's see the results. If
PTSD treatment professionals embrace it across the board, I am willing
to reverse my statements here on FFL - but I can tell you from having
rubbed elbows with some of these veterans, if they knew the jack asses
who were in charge of the TMO wore gold hats and claimed to be kings,
they would throw those TM teachers out on their ears.

> Michael, many of the same concerns that you have expressed come up
when thinking about TM in schools - only you worry that parents will
scream and object once they get wind of the crowns and murky finances of
the organization, all of which are now so readily found on the internet.
I wonder if you have read Transcendence by Norman Rosenthal, MD, the
psychiatrist working with PTSD vets near Washington DC? I have not read
it, and I have no idea if Rosenthal is still enamored of TM, but it
might be interesting for you to get his point of view. Seems I heard he
was really enthusiastic about how TM helped the vets.

> > ________________________________

not be used for the treatment of PTSD.  And your realize
that much of it has nothing to do with the actual treatment, but rather
the fact that you do not like the TMO, it's leaders or its
claims.
> > And you offer only pure speculation on why it would not be an
appropiate treatment.ÂÂ
> > And finally, you seem to be saying that since I don't agree with
what you wrote that I am in denial in some way.
> > You invent this notion that I don't respect your opinion because you
aren't specifically credentialled in this way.

> > You laid out your reasons.  They appear well thought
out.  I am sorry if I remain unconvinced.  I wish you the
best in putting forth you agenda for dealing with this issue.
> > My position remains the same.  Let the results speak for
themselves.  That appears to be the last thing you want to
consider.
> > ÂÂ
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson wrote:
> > >
> > > I wrote it because you asked me why I didn't like the idea of TM
for PTSD folks and I told you - evidently you aren't willing to pay
attention to anything I say unless I have an MD in PTSD treatment behind
my name.

> > > The TMO is reason enough to stay away from TM, especially for
these at risk people. It is time (but I know it ain't gonna happen) that
people stop saying that TM is good, we just have to ignore or excuse the
TMO and its people's behavior and energy.

> > > I am not willing to see veteran's with PTSD used as experimental
subjects - IF, IF , IF TM had lived up to its hype, lived up to the
claims made for it and its ancillary programs made through its
questionable "scientific" research, I would be more than willing to see
TM taught on the battlefield itself, but given the fact that TM research
across the board from the early stuff to the laughable Maharishi Effect
stuff, it isn't likely that TM will show itself to be efficacious for
treatment of PTSD.

> > > How many years will people stop saying "Oh, well, nothing's been
proven yet, but let's just give it another 60 years, I know Marshy will
be proven right one day."

> > > ________________________________

I commend you for your efforts to come up with treatments
for the PTSD, and I hope that you succeed in getting your ideas
implemented.  In my opinion, that is where I would focus
my attention.  I can't say that you come
across as any kind of authority of what the efficacy of TM would be in
this situation, but I would assume that whatever benefits or detriments
that would result from the practice of TM for PTSD would be become
apparant and based on that, the programÂÂÂ
would be continued,or expanded or curtailed or
discontinued.ÂÂÂ
> > > Why not the results, or non results speak for
themselves?