I can honestly say I went on a lot of residence courses, and was never asked to
donate money, or purchase *anything*. Wasn't a perfect experience, but this
rapaciousness you attribute to the reps of the TMO was just never present
whenever I interacted with them. Not once, during major national courses,
residence courses, or working for the TMO on staff, was I ever asked for
donations, or to get the next big thing. This is some tape loop in your head,
that does not match reality. And you know what they say, where there's smoke,
there's fire...:-)

I was glad they insisted on the buddy system, too, because I was on a flying
course once in DC, and it was very easy after doing a lot of meditation, to get
lost downtown.