You are funny Ann.  Thanks for making me smile.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" <awoelflebater@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long sharelong60@ wrote:
> >
> > When all the snow starts melting, the kaphaness of kapha season is
gonna hit like a ton of bricks.  I wonder if there's a sound that's
good for all 3 doshas just as there are a few foods that are good for
all 3.

> I have it on great authority that the sound of gargling is the ticket
in terms of the ultimate anti-kapha sound and the food of choice is
candy corn but made with molasses not brown sugar. Oh, and in a pinch,
spinach with a little malt vinegar and pepper is marvelous for that
pesky kaphaness. Happy Spring!

> > ________________________________

Gayatri
> > Mantra on it. In ayurveda Om is considered useful to calm vata
though
> > Ram is favored.

been emphasized by Swami Brahmananda Saraswati.
> > > No argument about this here. But the reason is the caste system
and orthodoxy. According to extreme conservatives, any mantra of the
Vedas could not be pronounced by Non-Brahmins, and women. You can read
the passage about women and Om from the Beacon Light of the Himalaya,
that Xeno uploaded to the files. Same is true for the Gayatri Mantra, it
is not taught in the TM movement. Other spiritual Hindu based movements
are less conservative and advocate it.

Shree Rama Jaya Rama...etc the examples are very many.
> > > Yes, but they are not Vedic. If they would be Vedic, that is, if
they would occur in the Rig Veda for example, they would be equally
disallowed by the movement. The Shankaracharya order of the Saraswati
branch, to which Guru Dev belonged to is the MOST conservative of all
the orthodox orders. Only Brahmins could become Swamis, that is also the
reason that Maharishi never became a Swami. And that is also the reason
why his body was cremated instead of buried. The movement uppers and
Rajas would have wanted the body to be burried, and have a real Samadhi,
but the current Shankaracharya, even though supportive of the movement
did not allow.

> > > The question for me is therefore: how much do you believe in the
caste system and all the orthodox rules? If I don't believe in the caste
system, I have no reason to reject OM for meditation. In fact it would
simplify things a lot. Everybody knows it, knows it's proper
pronunciation, and it is not directly connected to any gods, it is not
sectarian or cultic.

> > > For example Shree Rama Jaya Raam Jaya Jaya Raam is a Vaishnavic
Mantra and associated with Rama. There might be Shaivas who don't like
it. There are Shaivas who don't visit Vaishanava temples.

Knowledge has saved India from `Om". I have been lectured several times
on this very point by extremely faithful TM people who seem quite
convinced. You'll notice that none of the TM versions of mantras on the
TM-X website notice `Om' as any part of a TM mantra. Though Shri Vidya
and everyone else going back use "Om" to initiate or energized mantras.
Is TM missing something? Maharishi uniquely seems a Vedic out-layer on
this in the distribution of sages on mantras.
go from there. But that is different from TM and should not be confused
even though chakras well light up upon proper awareness and practice of
the TM-sidhis. But at that point it is independent of employing 'Om' or
much of anything else.

What Maharishi teaches as the Vedic tradition is actually the Tantric
tradition appropriated by Brahmanism, through the teaching of Shri
Vidhya. With Vedic literature, he means the Agamas.