I know (only by email and phone) an astrologer by the name of Das Goravani who
is also a trained Hindu priest.  One of the problems he pointed out about
spirituality, as it is viewed and practiced in America, is that life is still
not viewed holistically.  It is viewed in terms of materialism vs.
spirituality.  One analogy similar to his that I remember reading before is
that many people in new-age or alternative spiritual paths are simply trying to
learn the alphabet (all of life's lessons) by focusing all of their attention
on the letter 'Z' (enlightenment).  There seems to be a severe lack of
acknowledgement that all our experiences lead the the same goal, both material
and spiritual.

My experiences with 'SOME' of my family and friends is that their avoidance of
material activities and focus on spirituality has created two-fold problem:  1.
 They're still not enlightened, nor do they seem any closer to it after 10-30
years, and 2.  They are unable to provide for their own material needs and
therefore are dependent on others.  And what's worse is that they function with
the attitude that because they are 'spiritual', somehow they deserve to have
their material needs provided by others because they are on a 'higher' path and
are clearly 'higher' beings above alleged 'lowly' activities.

Moreover, there seems to be a lack of acknowledgement that we are in a cycle of
birth and death.  Some people recognize it intellectually, but they don't
really make their decisions in life based on that reality.  I know the TMO and
MMY specifically taught the 'enlightenment in one lifetime' concept.  Das
Goravani and David Frawley (who is a legitimate trained Vedic Scholar, not
self-proclaimed) have indicated in their teachings that it's prepostorous to
think that way.  They point out that it takes many lifetimes just to get our
consciousness to a point where we would even be curious or interested in
spirituality.   Then to achieve enlightenment (Cosmic consciousness) is quite
some time.  And then it doesn't stop there.  You can be in CC and stuck in this
cycle of birth and death due to burning off past karma or rising to GC.  I know
a lot of this is speculation though, and I am certainly no authority.

Basically, if you were to look at Kwai Chang Cain's character played by David
Carradine, I think you're looking at a truly evolved person.  By all means he
is the epitome of spirituality.  He is humble, philisophical, balanced, he
meditates, and he accepts reality for what it is.  But at the same time, he is
capable of dealing with material life, in fact he's better at it than any other
character in the series.  In addition to being able to fight, his work ethic is
relentless.

Therefore, my synopsis, as incorrect as it may be, following a spiritual path
in the midst of extreme material incompetence is a sign of nothing more than
studying the letter 'Z'.  You still have the rest of the alphabet to work on.
And until we learn the whole alphabet, guess where our soul is going after this
cycle of birth and death?  Nowhere but right back here.

seekliberation