--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@...> wrote:

> Read the book and get back to me...your research is perhaps not comprehensive
> enough......"There are two ways to be fooled.  One is to believe what isn't
> true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true." - Soren Kierkegaard

Only *two* ways to be fooled? You are overly optimistic. Delusion is a primary
human characteristic.

I have not read this book, probably have not the time. I read another one
though - 'the Spiritual Doorway in the Brain' by Kevin Nelson, a neurologist
who has been studying this phenomenon for some 30 years. He came to a different
conclusion:

Some comments on the Alexander book by others:

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/26/dr_eben_alexanders_so_called_after_life/

http://www.realitysandwich.com/when_proof_not_enough_eben_alexander

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/science-on-the-brink-of-death

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1385027/Revealed-The-truth-near-death-experiences.html

I tend to think life after death is an idiotic concept if one is attempting to
be 'spiritual'.

All experiences require consciousness. That is what the 'spirit' in 'spiritual'
is. It is associated with every possible experience, and it does not matter if
you can come up with a definition for it or not, we all have it. If it was not
there, zero experience. No matter what experience, consciousness is there, pure
existential value. Spiritually this what we are. This is our location. It does
not matter what the experience is or where it seems to be, the consciousness is
there as its container so to speak. Nothing outside of it can be an experience
or knowable. Therefore it is meaningless to discuss other places one can be.
One's life is just this sparkling whatever it is that makes experience
possible. It is always where you are, because it is you. The other you, the
'me' is just a story inside this container that makes life knowable. Its a
selective, quirky narrative about the relationships within the larger container
of experience, and that narrative typically borders on insanity.

The people who have NDEs are alive. People who are dead tell us nothing. That
is the logical gap that makes evaluation of this situation impossible to
resolve.

Note that about 10% of NDE experiences recorded are hellish.

Perhaps the attitude one has toward this issue is related to the answer to this
question: 'Are you afraid to die?' My experience is that people who believe in
an afterlife often seem very fearful of death. They believe they are going to a
much better place, but seem to have a strong resistance to be in that better
place.