--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@...> wrote:

> Read the book and get back to me...your research is perhaps not comprehensive
> enough......"There are two ways to be fooled.  One is to believe what isn't
> true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true." - Soren Kierkegaard

I've no doubt it's a wonderful story but I've read those before.
Unless you can *unprove* that people meet relatives who are still
alive (remember it was the experiencers who claim this) all you
do is add to the mythos.

So why would I need to read *another* book about something when
the first objective one demonstrated that the experience wasn't
what people thought it was?

This is how you have to treat claims of the paranormal, first
you see if there is a signal above the noise - something you
can't account for any other way. In the NDE there isn't. But
research is being carried out in hospitals and it's inconclusive
to say the least.

Most Out of Body Experiences are explainable by taking the timing
of anaesthetic withdrawal into  account, because people are
paying attention to this and collating statements from care staff there is less
chance of someone saying "but I was clinically dead
so it *can't* be my brain". In several cases things people have spookily
witnessed could be accounted for by what was occurring
around them when medical procedures were taking place. Obviously people aren't
always as out of it as was thought. Maybe that
explains why so few have NDE's?

Another good study taking place is objects being placed on high
shelves so that people who are floating out of their bodies can
report what they cannot have seen any other way. The idea for this
came about because someone having a claimed OBE allegedly saw a
training shoe outside on a window sill that he couldn't have seen
from where he was. The plural of anecdote is not data though and
no one has yet followed up with a "hit" on whatever these objects
are.

That's the way with paranormal research, early hope turns into
disappointment when data gets stronger. Nail down the variables,
like how long it takes to come off anaesthetic, and the amount
of undeniably unexplainable experiences diminishes rapidly.
It was always thus. I suspect the NDE belief will run and run
as peoples desire to have confirmation of life after death is
going to be good at papering over any cracks as you demonstrated
in dismissing my point about seeing living relatives as well as
dead ones. To the objective mind that's a clincher.

So please don't assume that my placing NDE's in the "Bollocks"
file means it was put there because it simply doesn't fit in with
the way I see the world. The way I see things came about because
the mystical world failed to make a good enough case for itself.