 From: Xenophaneros Anartaxius <anartax...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:12 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: TM and its Rock Stars

> Every exchange like this just reinforces my belief that long term TM makes
> ones brain turn into mush and removes the ability to think clearly.

A belief is a thought that the world is a certain way. It would seem the term
'knowledge' might refer to an experience or thought that correlates with the
way the world really is. In practice though knowledge based on thought is
hypothetical, that is, we cannot know a thought represents reality without a
test of some kind. And if a thought refers to things we cannot test, then
knowledge is impossible.

I personally do not think TM turns the brain into mush. But one has to look at
the environment in which it is used. Beginning meditators usually, if their
experience is good, are enthusiastic, and one can excuse them for that. But if
they get more involved, they find themselves enmeshed in an organisation that
does not really allow creative independent thinking - everything in that
environment tends toward doing what 'Maharishi expected people to do', which
means that your thinking has to be along the lines of that rut. The TMO does
not sanction independent thinking unless it brings in more cash (like Lynch for
example)

I was just looking at documents on the Zen-trained Adyashanti's web site.

This is the complete summary of his teaching in his own words:

Be still.
Question every thought.
Contemplate the source of Reality.

That second line is interesting, since it seems to me to be fundamental to
getting oneself out of the rut of mere belief. Spiritual engagement is such a
peculiar thing to get involved in. It takes all sorts of bizarre forms. You
need independent thinking to wade through the morass of conflicting and
unbelievable beliefs one encounters in every kind of spiritual movement. You
need to be curious. You really have to wonder how you have gotten yourself in
such a situation, and how to get out of it what you came into it for. If you
came into it to feel good, probably you will fail. If you came into it to
become part of a community, probably you will fail in that greater task that is
called enlightenment.

The environment of the TMO and its suburbs I feel is not conducive to
enlightenment unless a person is very focused on being enlightened; it will rot
your brain; not the TM, that is a tool that can be used wisely or not, but
constantly having to conform to a particular mindset will erode purpose. My
experience was I began to forget my purpose. When I left, that purpose began to
re-emerge. It was a subtle kind of suppression.

I do not mind being around dedicated TMO-ites now, because I have my purpose
and my life; they cannot infiltrate, and strangely TM had a big part to play in
this, but it took a long time to unfold, not because any particular kind of
meditation is inefficient, but because for most, including me, it just takes a
long time to break through one's delusions. If you are aligned with a movement
that fosters delusions, you are sunk.