--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros
Anartaxius" <anartaxius@...> wrote:

> We see other people, animals, and by their behaviour we
> deem them to be conscious. Yet if the brain of these
> beings is damaged in certain ways, that conscious
> behaviour departs. Injection of certain drugs, such as
> Propofol (the one that killed the singer > Michael Jackson)
> causes consciousness to slip away, even when > death does
> not occur. On this basis a scientist will conclude that
> the physical world, and the brain in particular, by virtue
> of its organisation, causes consciousness. Otherwise
> consciousness would not depart if the brain were destroyed.

I would hope that a scientist would NOT "on this basis"
conclude that the brain "causes" consciousness. Or, as
Salyavin808 would have it,  "creates" consciousness (using a
similar form of reasoning).

You both seem to be saying that "because damage to X results
in damage to Y, and the destruction of X results in the
destruction of Y, *therefore* X creates Y or X causes Y". This
appears to me to be an obviously flawed line of reasoning
(Judy has made this point previously). For example, take a
statue made from marble. If you chip the marble, you damage
the statue. If you destroy the marble you destroy the statue.
"On this basis" is a scientist to conclude that the marble
"causes" or "creates" the statue?

And it gets worse. Even Supposing that we took your reasoning
to be valid after all and accepted as a consequence that the
brain "causes" consciousness. That does not mean (in itself)
that consciousness is "nothing but" the brain and can be
"reduced" to that particular material object. For example,
when I flick a switch, that causes my light to come on. But
that doesn't mean the light is "nothing but" the light switch.

Perhaps it's the word "cause" that is creating difficulties
here. What you and Salyavin808 are saying might make more
sense within an Aristotelian understanding: The brain is the
"material cause" of the mind.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_causes) But what that gains
in plausibility it sacrifices in significance I would have
thought. And in any case, scientistic types would hardly wish
to resurrect a primitive ancient like Aristotle to bolster
their scientific reductionism, would they?

To add to the gaity, perhape we "mysterians" could lob a few
of our own ordnance into the fray.

If you belive that mind is reducible to brain, what would you
predict would be the result of the amputation of a full half
of a person's brain? Well, such "hemispherectomies" do happen
(though mostly with children). And the results?

"Studies have found no significant long-term effects on
memory, personality, or humor after the procedure, and minimal
changes in cognitive function overall."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemispherectomy

And what are we to make of a case such as the 44 year-old
French civil servant with a huge pocket of fluid where most of
his brain ought to be - as reported in the Lancet and Nature:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/07/20/us-brain-tiny-
idUSN1930510020070720

http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070716/full/news070716-15.html

Or again, what about when the direction of causality is
reversed? That is to say, if the influence of the brain on the
mind is put forward as evidence for reductionism, what are we
to conclude when the tables are reversed and the mind causes
the death of the brain? As in "pointing the bone":

"The condemned man may live for several days or even weeks.
But, he believes so strongly in the curse that has been
uttered, that he will surely die. It is said that the ritual
pierces the victim when the bone is pointed at him. It is as
if an actual spear has been thrust at him and his death is
certain."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdaitcha

Finally, if, following Descartes (and now David Chalmers in
the video Judy posted) we conclude that the one indubitable
fact (for me) is "my being me", "my existence". How, as
reductive materialists, can we account for the fact that my
existence has remained constant throughout my life, whereas
every part of my body and brain has changed? There is very
little sense in which the brain I have now is the same as the
one I had at age five. But there is plenty of sense in saying
that I am the same individual now as my self when I was five.
In fact the entire emotional, social, intellectual, ethical,
judicial and religious fabric of our lives is based on this
simple idea of "individuals" - their concerns, their
histories, their rights, their duties and so forth. Brains
don't have such attributes.

Ergo, individuals are not brains.