--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> > "The condemned man may live for several days or even weeks.
> > But, he believes so strongly in the curse that has been
> > uttered, that he will surely die. It is said that the ritual
> > pierces the victim when the bone is pointed at him. It is as
> > if an actual spear has been thrust at him and his death is
> > certain."
>
> Anxiety is a powerful thing.

So it seems. The "cause" of the anxiety was of course a purely
mental thing (or a thing in the realm of "meaning"), and
NOT a physical thing. And the anxiety was the effect, not
the cause.

> Why do you think this proves
> something pertinent to the argument here? It's like you've just
> googled odd stuff about the brain and drawn some whoppingly
> unnecessary argument out of it.

It's about the world of the mental and the world of meaning
(the latter I think I'd prefer), and about how those worlds
can, sometimes, extinguish the world of the "merely" physical.
Because they are equally (or maybe more) real.