--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

> Steve, computer problems with character encoding or computer glitches are a
> programmer's realm, or a computer service realm, not an editor's realm to
> solve.
>
> It is nice to know how to fix certain common problems, but the big hangup
> people have about computers seems to be if something goes wrong, and they
> don't have a clue, they think they will break something if they make a wrong
> move.
>
> Sometimes software does not load properly and fails to work in some specific
> way, or the application or even the whole system freezes up. In that case you
> might lose what you are working on, because you have to restart the computer,
> which is usually the first thing to try.
>
> I have known a number of people who seem to regard a computer as some kind of
> magical talisman, and somehow fear something like the retribution of the gods
> were they to touch it once it fails to do what they expect.
>
> Cyberphobia

All I can say is that it's a good thing my husband knows a whole lot about
computers - in particular Macs. He is a Mac Man through and through so of
course he has set me up with an Apple as well. So, all I have to do is swivel
about 90 degrees and whine for him to fix something, anything for me. Computers
are, for me, nothing but vehicles to do what I want to do at any given moment.
I don't care how they work, and I don't care to learn in any depth about them.
I appreciate that they exist, they are small miracles, unknown workings going
on above and beyond the puny amount of knowledge I have about them. I reserve
my brain cells for other things and leave the inner secrets of these marvelous
machines to those who care.