--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> For some reason I neglected yesterday to mention that
> the FX series "The Bridge" debuted last night. Once
> again FX brings us another great series and this one
> is about two police detectives one from El Paso,
> Sonya North, played by Diane Kruger and one from
> Juarez, Marco Ruiz, played by Demian Bichir, pairing
> to investigate the murder of a woman judge whose body
> is found on a bridge between Mexico and the US. I
> liked the first episode and hope they can keep up
> this pace. Check your local provider for repeats
> and VOD.
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2406376/

I honestly hope it's good. The basic story -- and
the characters -- of the original are strong enough
to survive a remake. And AMC didn't do a terrible
job when remaking "The Killing," also based on a
great Danish series. So I'll give FX a shot.

All I can say, however, having seen the original
"Bron-Broen" three times, and considering it one of
the best TV series I saw all of last year, is that
Diane Kruger has some seriously big shoes to fill.

Sofia Helin just *owned* the part of Saga Norén
(Sonya North in the remake), delivering one of the
most powerful performances by an actor in either
TV or movies last year.

It *is*, after all, the very essence of a "star-
making role," as much so as Carrie Mathison in
"Homeland." The image of a strong, powerful, and
beautiful woman doing her best to be good at her
job while battling a mental disorder (Bipolar
Disorder in Carrie's case, Aspergers in Saga's/
Sonya's) must be a veritable dream role for a
talented actress. Diane Kruger has done good
work in the past, so I wish her well.

She's got a tough road ahead of her to have her
personification of this character be considered
at the same level as Sofia Helin's, but hey...
Mads Mikkelsen "took on" Anthony Hopkins in
"Hannibal" and kinda pulled it off, so there's
just no tellin'...