[ Consider this one of my ongoing cafe raps about trends I see almost
*everywhere* on the Internet, not just on FFL. Try to portray it as
being *only* about certain individuals on FFL at your own peril. ]

I am far from the first person to suggest that our Internet Age -- with
people spending inordinate amounts of time in "chat rooms" or on social
media forums -- has caused some peculiar and disturbing behavioral
patterns. One of those patterns seems to involve people regressing to
the ages they were (both intellectually and emotionally) and the
mindsets they wore back when they were in Jr. High School.

And one of the things that most of us *remember* from those
not-so-glorious days is how young adolescents, still "trying out" their
fledgling social interaction wings, tended to form into cliques. In my
memory, most of these cliques were female, and they tended to most often
fall into the "mean girls" category that is so often captured in movies
and TV and stories about Jr. High School and High School life.

This is *not* to say that there weren't "mean guys clubs," too...there
were. But "membership" in them (at least back in my era) tended to
revolve around real-life accomplishments, such as being on the football
team. The "mean girls clubs," on the other hand, more often tended to
revolve around chronic narcissism, and the girls' conviction (often not
based in any kind of reality) that they were more attractive, more
popular, and just "better" than other girls.

A fascinating sidebar to this trend, however, is that there were always
a few guys who gravitated to and squeezed their way into these "mean
girls clubs." And the mean girls allowed them to do this. Go figure.
Maybe these guys just weren't any good at sports or at making other
friends, maybe the mean girls just took pity on them, maybe they thought
the guys were gay...who knows. But there *were* occasional guys who were
members of the Jr. High School "mean girls clubs," and there still are
today, in their Internet counterparts.

One reason for this, of course, is that most of the activities of a
"mean girls club" clique revolve around asserting their own superiority
and putting down or ragging on anyone who is not a member. So the more
"members" they could recruit *to* do this, the better. And to this day,
in their Internet counterparts, the guys who are part of the "mean girls
clubs" tend to toady up to the leaders of the cliques, to brownnose them
and praise them constantly, and do what they're expected to do...which
is, of course, to rag on the clique leaders' enemies.

And it's the SAME behavior, whether it takes place in the hallways of a
school or in cyberspace chat rooms. In both environments, the SAME
things seem to piss off the clique members and provoke them into "attack
mode." For example:

Trying to sabotage their enemies' popularity or reputations. Almost
*nothing* pisses off a mean girl (or her male minions) more than someone
they don't like getting some attention from or having pleasant
interactions with other people. They react by ragging on the victim, and
trying to convince the people being friendly with these enemies that
THEY'D BLOODY WELL BETTER STOP, IF THEY KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR THEM.
Otherwise, they're likely to be added to the clique's "Enemies List"
themselves. Same in cyberspace.

Another thing that pushes the mean girls' buttons is seeing one of their
designated victims enjoying themselves or having FUN, *despite* their
attempts to keep this from happening. This just drives the mean girls
CRAZY, because it's almost as if they are having no effect whatsoever on
these intended victims. Almost as if. Again, you see the same thing on
the Internet.

A third big "button pusher" for the mean girls is seeing one of their
enemies actually succeed at something, or gain recognition from others
for having done something good. The mean girls tend to react to this by
projecting all sorts of negative fantasies onto the victim. For example,
hearing that one of their enemies landed a prestigious summer
internship, they might say, "Well...I sure hope she doesn't get fired
for being such a bitch," which, translated, means, "I sure hope she DOES
get fired!" Or when one of their guy enemies makes the football team,
they might say, "Good for him...I sure hope he doesn't break his leg,"
which again translates to "We sure hope he DOES break a leg, because any
success he might achieve reflects badly on us and the fact that we never
really DO anything, just bitch, bitch, bitch about the people we don't
like." And again, this SAME behavior is echoed in the cliques that form
on Internet forums.

It all seems a little sad and embarrassing to me, but if acting like
this is the only thing that gets these mean girls and their guy pets
through the day, I guess it's better than them becoming, say, psycho
killers. But it sure would lighten up the general vibe of cyberspace if
a few of these mean girls could grow the fuck up, and start acting more
like adults.