...they all look like ants from up here...LOL

Seriously, I developed a saying about such a phenomenon, when I first noticed
it working for the TM Movement:

"Unbounded awareness is great, but enough's enough!!"

In other words, at any stage of development, the ego wants to call it mine.
However, the momentum for this reflex action is deep seated. The ego is a
pretty amazing tool, if used as such. After all, it has been the motive force
for the evolution of form, experience, and individuality, forever. From amoebas
or parameciums, viruses and stuff, onward. The individuality of each lifetime
serves as a spur for the next, times a jillion or so. Ego is essential for each
one, codified as instinct in mammals, birds, fish, reptiles and insects.

So a human, believing fully in him/herself, ego fully localized, is the highest
developed animal on the planet. Only when the ego is set up as our rightful
tool, placed precisely on the altar of surrender and transcendence, do we learn
about the Divine path available only to human beings.