> And, by the way, all those wonderful works that you cite above?
> Your local Catholic Church has been doing that in your very own
> neighbourhood for the past several hundred years...and without the
> hugging and the fanfare...

The catholic church runs a lot of private for-profit schools (I have
14 yrs experience) and some for-profit hospitals.  Many orders of nuns
and a few, very few, priestly orders are involved in charitable works.
In the US, the parishes sometimes raise funds for catholic operations
in the 3rd world which are partly charitable, mainly to expand
operations and convert - when I was child you sometimes had to bring a
quarter to school to "help convert the pagan babies".  Even the
poorest of nations are net givers of money to the Vatican.

Not to knock the Church on charity, as individual catholics tend to be
charitable and the Church does encourages that behavior more so than
many religions.  But the parishes themselves are not known as the
place to go if you're in need.

No fanfare in Catholicism??  What a joke, more fanfare than a barrel
of crowned rajs.  No hugging??  Have you been to Mass recently?
(though you may go to the Mel Gibsom sect which still does Mass in
latin and instead of the hug prior to communion does a flogging.)