On 9/26/05 9:40 AM, "markmeredith2002" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> And, by the way, all those wonderful works that you cite above?
>> Your local Catholic Church has been doing that in your very own
>> neighbourhood for the past several hundred years...and without the
>> hugging and the fanfare...
>
> The catholic church runs a lot of private for-profit schools (I have
> 14 yrs experience) and some for-profit hospitals.  Many orders of nuns
> and a few, very few, priestly orders are involved in charitable works.
> In the US, the parishes sometimes raise funds for catholic operations
> in the 3rd world which are partly charitable, mainly to expand
> operations and convert - when I was child you sometimes had to bring a
> quarter to school to "help convert the pagan babies".  Even the
> poorest of nations are net givers of money to the Vatican.
>
> Not to knock the Church on charity, as individual catholics tend to be
> charitable and the Church does encourages that behavior more so than
> many religions.  But the parishes themselves are not known as the
> place to go if you're in need.
>
> No fanfare in Catholicism??  What a joke, more fanfare than a barrel
> of crowned rajs.  No hugging??  Have you been to Mass recently?
> (though you may go to the Mel Gibsom sect which still does Mass in
> latin and instead of the hug prior to communion does a flogging.)

My grandfather, despite being a protestant, was the founder of a Catholic
hospital and for a period of my career I was involved with a large Catholic
hospital here in New England. The nuns would begin the day by gathering in
the hospital chapel and praying for the safety and healing of all those in
the hospital, city and region. I'd seen them on numerous occasions head out
on the coldest nights of the year and bring street people into the hospital
for "treatment"--actually what they were saving them from was freezing to
death or certain frostbite. They would often give free medical care,
including surgery and other live-saving interventions. There was never such
a thing as someone too poor to receive treatment and often we received the
poorest of the poor. These nuns were like tireless angels.

Despite all the bad press the Catholic church has received in recent years,
they still carry on an important charity mission worldwide.