--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Seraphita" <s3raphita@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"  wrote:
> >
> > Not to be picky, but the article says the soldier, who
> > was a member of the SAS, told his wife that "the unit
> > had 'arranged' the Princess's death and that this had
> > been 'covered up.'"
> >
> > Why on earth would the SAS have wanted to murder Diana?
> >
> It's dirty work but someone has to do it. Diana was snorting coke,
> sleeping around with whoever took her fancy and generally bringing the
> Royal Family into disrepute.

I dunno, doesn't seem to me like enough to justify
murder, at least not once she and Charles were
divorced. (I mean, not that murder is ever justified,
but in the mind of the state, as it were.)

> She wasn't able to fulfil her allotted
> role - a role for which she was a willing volunteer remember.

Not many girls her age and background would have the
foresight and self-knowledge to turn down the role
because they realized it would be too much for them.

And she did a pretty impressive job with the public
part of the role, the royal appearances and charities
and causes and so on.

Plus which, it looked like she was a very good mother
to the heirs. Somehow she was able to compartmentalize
and not let the disaster the marriage had become get
in the way of doing right by the kids.

Of course they'd have had to be affected by the marital
troubles, not to mention her post-divorce behavior, not
to mention her violent death when they were still so
young.

But from here, at least, it appears the way she brought
them up made them secure enough to deal with all that.
Harry looks to be a bit flaky, but William seems solid
and responsible, if not terribly inspiring.

For me, Diana was a profoundly tragic figure, not one
to be scorned and reviled. I like Charles, but I don't
think he was blameless by any means.

> Kate Middleton looks like the right stuff to me.

Good choice on William's part, no?

> No neuroses, feet firmly on the ground, realistic in her
> outlook - and more attractive, sexually and personally.

I dunno, I preferred Diana's looks by a mile. I can't
tell much about Kate's personality yet, but so far it
doesn't seem like there's a lot of it. Maybe that's an
advantage. The two of them did manage the birth nicely
(again, from here).