Mike, you probably already know that even internal suppression is not
considered good by most psychologists. Self discipline, yes, and moderation,
but suppression is generally thought to actually be harmful and counter
productive. Of course extremely damaging behaviors must be avoided by any and
all means. But even in these cases there must be a safe way to acknowledge the
potentially harmful urges and somehow neutralize them. Just writing all this I
realize what a fine line is often present in situations, especially sexual
ones, and how complex it can be to live one's full humanity.