 From: "s3raph...@yahoo.com" <s3raph...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, October 7, 2013 9:35 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: MMY and Siddha Tradtions

Check this out FFLers!

A forthcoming BBC documentary:

Jerry Hall’s Gurus (working title)

Jerry Hall – actress, super-model and one-time wife of Mick Jagger – presents a
three-part series looking at the world of gurus and the celebrities who listen
to their messages.

Jerry travels the world, making an offering on the banks of the River Ganges
and visiting the ashram of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in Rishikesh where The Beatles
first went in 1968. In Los Angeles she meets Nancy Cooke de Herrera, who looked
after The Beatles when they were with the Maharishi in the 1960s. Now a
transcendental meditation guru herself, Nancy’s followers have included
Madonna, David Lynch and Sheryl Crow. Jerry catches  up with Hollywood actress
and old friend Anjelica Huston, and she visits Deepak Chopra, the guru who
profoundly influenced her and her twin sister when Terry was diagnosed with
breast cancer five years ago. Interspersed with revealing footage of her
day-to-day life as actress, model and mother,  Jerry Hall’s Gurus (w/t)  sees
Jerry visit Los Angeles and India as well as at home in London, where she
explores the wildly popular trends of Kabbalah, Agapae and yoga. But it is in
the Ojai Valley, a mystical haven in
 California, that Jerry undergoes a Trager session which helps her face up to
her past experiences and completes her spiritual odyssey.

Starting to drool yet?

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raphita@...> wrote:

Poor Richard. He works so hard.

Indian film director Mira Nair (whose titles include the enjoyable Kama Sutra:
A Tale of Love and Vanity Fair, with Reese Witherspoon) began work on a
documentary film about the Beatles' 1968 visit to India. I hope she completes
the project as it's a shoo-in to be an entertaining nostalgia trip.

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <authfriend@...> wrote:

Yes, householder. That's anyone with worldly responsibilities (male or female,
head of the household or sweeper of the floor), as opposed to a monk, a recluse
who has renounced the world. The Domash essay touches on that distinction, an
important one in TM lore.

As to whether Guru Dev wanted a "simple variant" of what he himself taught, I
don't think we know that. There are all kinds of stories floating around the
movement (and among critics of the movement), and most of them are probably
bogus. I do think it's clear that Guru Dev didn't teach
TM-as-taught-by-Maharishi-Mahesh-Yogi. What isn't clear, at least to me, is
whether Guru Dev had any intentional, specific input at all into Maharishi's
formulation of and decision to teach TM. My guess is he didn't. The Domash
essay carefully avoids raising that issue.

And, um, I wouldn't take Richard's posts to confirm anything.

Seraphita wrote:

"Householder" is the term maybe, rather than housekeeper? The person in charge
rather the person sweeping the floor?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Thanks for the link authfriend. I can see why MMY would approve that account!

Richard's posts seem to confirm that Guru Dev most likely did have a Sri
Yantra.
I still think that the tale of Maharishi bumping off his master, stealing his
jewelled Sri Yantra and then heading south to meet with Indian magicians who
teach him how to unlock its secrets would make a great movie: Maharishi invokes
asuras who promise him unlimited wealth and power - the CGI people are given
free rein at this point. The asuras' acolyte (film-maker Kenneth Anger) is
instructed to prepare the way amongst rock royalty like the Stones and the
Beatles . . . and so it goes. Scorcese would lap this up.

A while back I read Our Spiritual Heritage: An Informal History of the Masters
of the Sankaracharya Tradition by Lynn Nappe (a former TM teacher) - the story
of each of the masters of the Shankaracharya tradition. The entry for Guru Dev
includes an overview of his meditation advice that is most certainlynot TM.
Lynne Nappe glosses this by saying Guru Dev's own technique was different but
he wanted a simple variant suitable for the "housekeeper". I guess we're all
housekeepers . . . housewives or househusbands.