--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "off_world_beings"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > The word 'evolution' does NOT imply 'purpose.'
> >
> > The sentient beings of the universe, as far as I can
> > tell, are all evolving.  But personally I don't think
> > that there is anywhere in particular that they are
> > evolving *to*.  I have no problem with everything
> > always evolving, but in a chaotic (meaning Inter-
> > dependent Origination) way.  No goal, no purpose,
> > just beings interacting and moving in the karmic
> > direction spawned by that interation.>>>
>
> Then the word 'sentient' is out of place and is an illusion
> that you have placed upon the dead, inert, dumb universe.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.
I'm presenting the POV that the universe is NOT
sentient, in the sense of a self-aware universe
with its own sense of identity, i.e., God.

I can conceive of the universe being the sum self
awareness of all of the sentient beings that dwell
"within" it, but I'm Buddhist enough to not really
believe it has a sentience of its own.

> You are avoiding the issue which is that evolution has order.

That's *your* issue.  I obviously found other ways
to entertain myself with the same discussion.  I
have no problem with the universe having order.
I just don't associate the word 'purpose' with the
word 'order.'

> You
> said it yourself, it has 'direction' This implies order.

It implies nothing more than the collective karma
of all of the sentient beings in the universe.
Their actions determine the direction; the direction
is not pre-set or directed by an external entity.
(All IMO, of course.)

> Order implies intelligence.

It really doesn't.

> All the words you are using imply intelligence.

To YOU.  Because of your point of view, and how you
tend to see things, your predilection.  Not to me.

> If you say it has no order then you must say it is chaotic.

It is chaotic.  Within an ordered context called
karma.  Simple cause and effect.

When it comes to this stuff, I'm a very Occam's Razor
kinda thinker.  I am comfortable with the concept of
a universe that has NO sentient intelligence and NO
preplanned purpose behind it.  Just an operating
system called karma.  It was never created and it
will never end.  I'm not trying to rain on your
parade or anything; this is just what I believe.

I *know* that it's a belief, and a model of the
universe, and thus almost by definition wrong, but
it's the one I've come up with, for myself.  I'm
not trying to sell it to you.

> There is no way that you can claim it is chaotic in an
> intelligent way, which is what you just claimed.

I work with AI nerds.  A couple of them are SO
nerdy that they spend their days off writing neural
networks that are unpredictable.  Intelligent
chaos.

> Or maybe you mean't is is intelligent in a
> chaotic way.

Exactly.  You're gettin' it.

> This doesn't fly either.

Does it at least bounce on its butt?  I hear that's
the first stage of real flying.

> If it is chaotic it has no business being called the (now)
> lofty name of the 'God' called 'Evolution'.

Did someone on your planet traumatize you in your
youth by subjecting you to long conversations about
God and evolution and chaos and order?  You seem
awfully *involved* in this discussion.  I'm not
trying to convince you of anything and I'm not
trying to sell you anything.  I just said that
this is what I believe.  I don't call it truth
or anything, just what I believe.