> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "off_world_beings"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > > The word 'evolution' does NOT imply 'purpose.'
> > >
> > > The sentient beings of the universe, as far as I can
> > > tell, are all evolving.  But personally I don't think
> > > that there is anywhere in particular that they are
> > > evolving *to*.  I have no problem with everything
> > > always evolving, but in a chaotic (meaning Inter-
> > > dependent Origination) way.  No goal, no purpose,
> > > just beings interacting and moving in the karmic
> > > direction spawned by that interation.>>>
> >
> > Then the word 'sentient' is out of place and is an illusion
> > that you have placed upon the dead, inert, dumb universe.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.
> I'm presenting the POV that the universe is NOT
> sentient, in the sense of a self-aware universe
> with its own sense of identity, i.e., God.>>

In my opinion you joined to completely unrelated ideas together
here: intelligence and 'God'. This is the irrational leap that all
the anti-intelligent design scientists make. Intelligent universe
does not imply the common concept of a 'God' and I have never stated
there was a God. You made that leap on your own.

> I can conceive of the universe being the sum self
> awareness of all of the sentient beings that dwell
> "within" it, but I'm Buddhist enough to not really
> believe it has a sentience of its own.
>
> > You are avoiding the issue which is that evolution has order.
>
> That's *your* issue.  I obviously found other ways
> to entertain myself with the same discussion.  I
> have no problem with the universe having order.
> I just don't associate the word 'purpose' with the
> word 'order.'>>>

Yes you do.
Order has purpose. Whatever its purpose is, is irrelevent, but it
has purpose imposed upon by the nature of the system that it is
expressing. Evolotion absolutlely implies purpose. Its purpose is
evolotion. Now define evolution, without calling it chaos. It has a
direction.

OffWorld