> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Hmmm... how big a difference would it make if
> > one translated "samaadhau" to 'in samaadhi' instead
> > of 'to samaadhi'? I seem to recall that Vyaasa or
> > Bhoja comments that siddhis tend to make samaadhi weaker, but they
> > don't obstruct it alltogether (provided I've understood
> > the Sanskrit approximately correctly).
>
> Don't know nuttin' about the Sanskrit, but recall
> that according to MMY, the function of practicing
> the TM-Sidhis is to "challenge" samadhi, as with
> the metaphor of the sun fading the yellow dye in the
> context of plain-vanilla TM.  Activity following
> meditation "challenges" the samadhi that remains
> after meditation, which ultimately results in
> strengthening it and making it permanent.
>
> The intense color of the dye when the cloth comes
> out of the dye vat is "weakened" by the sun, but
> what remains is what has become permanent.  The
> permanent part is added to incrementally with each
> dip into the vat until it's all permanent.  But
> that wouldn't have happened if it wasn't "weakened"
> by the sun each time.
>
> Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but
> the possible parallel struck me as interesting.

Bhoja's commentary on "te samaadhaav upasargaa..." seems to
have three whole sentences. The middlemost of them feels
to me like the syntactically easiest one. Goes like this:

tatra harSa-vismayaadi-karaNena samaadhiH
shithilii bhavati

I might "translate" that for instance like this:

Therefore (because of that [positive emotional?] effect
of the siddhis previously mentioned?)samaadhi becomes shithilii*
by causing harSa**, vismaya***, and stuff (aadi).

*)1 shithila mf(%{A})n. (collateral form of prec.) loose , slack ,
lax , relaxed , untied , flaccid , not rigid or compact TS. &c. &c. ;
soft , pliant , supple Pan5cat. ; unsteady , tremulous MBh. ;
languid , inert , unenergetic , weak , feeble MBh. Ka1v. &c. ;
careless in (loc.) R. ; indistinct (as sound) L. ; not rigidly
observed W. ; loosely retained or possessed , abandoned , shaken off
ib. ; (%{am}) ind. loosely , not firmly Ragh. ; (%{I}) f. a kind of
tawny-coloured ant (said to be a variety of the white ant) L. ; (%
{am}) n. a loose fastening , looseness , laxity , slowness MW. ; a
partic. separation of the terms or members of a logical series ib.

**)1 harSa m. (ifc. f. %{A} ; fr. %{hRS}) bristling , erection (esp.
of the hair in a thrill of rapture or delight) MBh. Ka1v. &c. ; joy ,
pleasure , happiness (also personified as a son of Dharma) Kat2hUp.
MBh. &c. [1292,3] ; erection of the sexual organ , sexual
excitement , lustfulness Sus3r. ; ardent desire MBh. ; N. of an Asura
Katha1s. ; of a son of Kr2ishn2a BhP. ; of various authors &c. (also
with %{dIkSita} , %{mizra} , %{sUri} &c. ; cf. %{zrI-harSa}) ; mfn.
happy , delighted W.

***)2 vismaya 1 m. (for 2. see p. 953 , col. 1) wonder , surprise ,
amazement , bewilderment , perplexity (in rhet. one of the %{sthAyi-
bhAvas} q.v.) MBh. Ka1v. Das3ar. ; pride , arrogance Mn. BhP. ;
doubt , uncertainty W. ; %{-kara} , %{-kArin} , %{-M-kara} , %{-M-
gama} mfn. causing astonishment or admiration , astonishing ,
wonderful MBh. Ka1v. &c. ; %{-vat} mfn. manifesting pride or
arrogance Hcat. ; %{-viSAda-vat} mfn. filled with astonishment and
perplexity Katha1s. ; %{-harSa-mUla} mfn. caused by astonishment and
Joy MW. ; %{-yA7kula} , %{-yA7nvita} or %{-yA7viSTa} mfn. filled with
astonishment or wonder MBh. ; %{-yo7tphulla-nayana} (or %{-locana})
mfn. having eyes wide open or staring with astonishment MW.