Just finished watching the second episode in the new series of Sherlock and I
can inform FFLifers it was the most self-indulgent pile of crap I've ever
witnessed on TV. Two-thirds of the story was devoted to Sherlock and Watson's
relationship with some cringe-worthy attempts at humour and generous dollops of
mawkish buddy-bonding. The third segment devoted to an actual attempt at
crime-solving was leaden and unconvincing.
 You have been warned - ignore any favourable reviews..

 Fortunately, this Christmas I was gifted the first series of The Mentalist
with crime solver Patrick Jane. I'd not seen it before and it is way more
involving and clever than Sherlock. Simon Baker as the former "psychic" is an
engaging and amusing character.