OTOH, turq, these TV shows, forums, etc. just might be an easier way for people
to burn off some negative karma.

On Monday, January 6, 2014 7:29 AM, TurquoiseB <turquoi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long  wrote:

> Or turq it could be that the writer is simply being a creative artist and
> playing with the material, the character. OTOH, I've read several authors who
> say that at some point they really don't have much to say about how a
> character acts, that it's as if the character has its own life, its own
> internal integrity, its own path of unfolding. And the writer simply records,
> sort of going along for the ride!

Whatever. It could be just that -- a "change-up pitch" thrown out to confuse
the batter.

It IS interesting, however, to see all the critical reaction -- some of it
near-hysterical -- to nothing more than showing narcissistic, sociopathic
Sherlock Holmes, master of Being In Control, acting like a bumbling oaf and
being stumped by a rather simple plot. (Heck, even *I* figured out what was up
and who the villain was as soon as the wedding party began.)

Audiences who hero-worship are notoriously fickle when someone presents a hero
they've fixated on as infallible and "always in control" as...uh...fallible
and...uh...not. We saw this in one of Clint Eastwood's early roles, in "The
Beguiled." Audiences had by then gotten used to seeing the "always in control"
Clint -- as Rowdy Yates in "Rawhide," as the Man With No Name in "A Fistful Of
Dollars," and "For A Few Dollars More" and "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly,"
as the stand-up guy in "Hang 'Em High" and "Coogan's Bluff," and as a war hero
in "Kelly's Heroes." Then comes "The Beguiled," and he not only loses out, he
loses to a house full of women. The movie BOMBED at the box office. People
HATED it. It was as if they weren't about to allow someone they had projected
all their hero fantasies onto to ever become anything but.

I would suggest that the same thing is going on for some of these people
freaking out at seeing Sherlock Holmes bumble his way through trying to act
like a human being for once. They just "won't stand for it." It's almost as if
they're like TMers worshiping a narcissopath they'd put up on a pedestal for
being even more stuck in his head they they are and freaking out when he's
revealed as rather less than heroic.  :-)

It's also interesting to see that the meanest and nastiest of the mean, nasty
reviews of this episode come from women. It's like listening to guys who have
been forced by their girlfriends to watch a "chick flick" going on and on about
how horrible it was. :-)

All in all, I didn't think it was a terribly strong episode, but there have
been weak episodes in this series before, and it's not only survived but
prospered in spite of the occasional lapse. I suspect it will again. It may
even turn out that the friendship for Watson that Holmes has been forced to
admit in this episode will become crucial in the next episode, and thus this
whole episode is a "set-up."

Who knows? It's just a TV show.

Just like FFL is just an Internet chat room. Who could possibly get their